Diver death at Morrison's Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meagicano

Contributor
Reaction score
I just saw this tweet from CBCOttawa:

@CBCOttawa: A 53-year-old diver is dead after he drowned in the icy waters of Morrison's Quarry in Chelsea, Que., per @Police_MRC #cbcott #ottnews

It looks like there's no other information but my thoughts go out to the friends and family in the regional dive community.

Is there still ice in the quarry? I've been in the Maritimes all winter but based on skippy31's video it looks like there's still some ice on the water in the river so I would suspect the quarry is still icy.

Update: link from CBC. http://cbc.sh/8sN66KC

My thoughts are with the family.

CBC Ottawa:
MRC des Collines police say a 53-year-old man has died, after diving in Morrison's Quarry in Chelsea.
Emergency crews were called to the quarry around 12:30 Sunday afternoon. The man was snorkeling with some friends, and didn't resurface.
When the man was found, resuscitation attempts were made, but were unsucessful.
The man was pronounced dead when he arrived at the hospital.

CTV Ottawa:

A 53-year-old man has died as a result of a diving incident in Chelsea.
Around 12:30 p.m. Sunday afternoon, MRC des Collines police were called to the Chelsea Morrison Quarry in west Quebec.
Police say the man was diving with friends when he didn't surface. His body was recovered but attempts to resuscitate him were not successful.
He was declared dead at the hospital.

Police are investigating.

Read more: Man, 53, dies in diving incident | CTV Ottawa News

Sad news today at the Morrison Quarry. There is not a lot of details but right now only Ice diver is done there. The article says the person was snorkling which I find that strange since it is all frozen except a hole for divers to go in. This is an extremely popular place for OW and AOW test. This is where I did mine.

I hope we get more details.

580 CFRA News Talk Radio :: 53-year-old man dies at Morrison's Quarry :: News - Article

Thank you Scuba-dan. Could anyone with information please post here or PM me or anyone from the Ontario Underwater Council. Thanks again.

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2014 at 09:23 PM ----------

Here is another article: Diver drowns at Morrison?s Quarry in Chelsea | Metro

article:
Diver drowns at Morrison’s Quarry in Chelsea

By Trevor Greenway
Trevor Greenway/courtesy The Low Down
A 53-year-old man is dead following a snorkeling accident at Morrison’s Quarry in Chelsea. Located a little more than 30 km north east of Ottawa, the quarry is a popular spot for area divers.
According to MRC des Collines Police, a group of friends were scuba diving at the site around 12:30 Sunday afternoon when one of them didn’t resurface for 30-40 minutes.
The man’s body was later found, but resuscitation efforts were futile.
He was pronounced dead at hospital.
The name of the man has not yet been released, as police continue to probe the scene. No other details were available at press time.

Too close to home.

I would be surprised if this was not an ice dive, I can't see it being clear yet. I also cannot see it being snorkeling as reported by CBC.

The quarry is still completely iced over.

The man was not snorkeling, but was diving.

Please... People... Never dive in overhead, with a single tank, if not tethered... and stick with your buddies.

(I was not there, but have been informed by friends)

Thank you, Chantal. Do you know where the victim was from? Our condolences to his family and friends.

Back
Top Bottom