Regulator preventative maintenance - what's your routine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for the info! I might have to upgrade my previous reg maintenance regime, which was (1) put in tub to soak in warm water; and (2) remove next time someone wants to use the tub and says "your dive gear's always strewn everywhere, yada yada".

Thanks everyone for the info! I might have to upgrade my previous reg maintenance regime, which was (1) put in tub to soak in warm water; and (2) remove next time someone wants to use the tub and says "your dive gear's always strewn everywhere, yada yada".

That's my reg maintenance routine after a dip in the salty stuff

I soak the whole lot in fresh water, usually unpressurised. I checked and I can't suck air through it when the 'dust' cap is on. After that I put it on a tank and blow some air through it to make sure. In storage they hang 1st stage up, second stage down because the 2nds can still have some water in them. An Air2 is a different kettle of fish entirely - I still haven't managed to get the water out properly.

If I were being hyper anal I'd remove the yoke every 6 months and smear some silicone grease on the 1st stage body under the saddle and remove the 2nd stages from the hoses before soaking them in warm water. I'd also completely disassemble the 2nd stage and lube the orifice and knob threads and the o rings on the barrel and venturi scoop and lube under the L or R sleeve on the barrel. I'd also replace the Micro adjustment knob with a solid one.

OR

Just rinse/soak and make sure that there is no salt anywhere before storing away for more than a day or two.

I wouldn't use silicon grease anywhere near my regs, but then I occasionally use nitrox with high O2 content. I use your alternative method for my assorted Apeks regs

I wouldn't use silicon grease anywhere near my regs, but then I occasionally use nitrox with high O2 content.

Why? There is no way the O2 can come in contact with the grease under the saddle. There may be a slight risk it can come in contact with the grease on the threads in the second stage but it would be at intermediate pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom