Diver gets harassed by reef shark while Lion fish hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy Shot! ! That'll get your heart racing!! :shocked: :shark:

My question is whether the popularization of lionfish hunting may lead divers who don't normally spearfish, and aren't accustomed to being accosted by freeloaders (e.g.: sharks, big green morays, etc...) running into situations like this, especially if they've been taught that feeding slain lionfish to wildlife is 'wrong' so they carry them along rather than drop then where they're speared.

I've got this fear that someday a really big green moray is going to come get right in my space hoping for a handout, I've never tried to spear a lionfish, and getting abruptly startled by such a thing could lead to a bad reaction.

Richard.

My question is whether the popularization of lionfish hunting may lead divers who don't normally spearfish, and aren't accustomed to being accosted by freeloaders (e.g.: sharks, big green morays, etc...) running into situations like this, especially if they've been taught that feeding slain lionfish to wildlife is 'wrong' so they carry them along rather than drop then where they're speared.

I've got this fear that someday a really big green moray is going to come get right in my space hoping for a handout, I've never tried to spear a lionfish, and getting abruptly startled by such a thing could lead to a bad reaction.

Richard.

During a dive in the Caymans last year, I had green moray get right in my space (swam straight towards me coming up right into my GoPro lens) looking for handouts. That eel swam up to a couple other divers looking for the same. Heck it followed us for a good portion of the dive as did a snapper and grouper.

You get used to it.

Chug
Coward at heart.

Back
Top Bottom