BREAKING NEWS: New Lionfish Legislature For Florida!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

REEF HQ

Diving that Counts!
Reaction score
BREAKING NEWS:

Last week, representatives from the Florida House and Senate took the first steps in banning the importation or aquaculture of invasive lionfish. Representative Holly Raschein (R-Key Largo) and Senator Greg Evers (R- Pensacola) have filed HB 1069 and SB 1336 to address the devastation being caused by lionfish in Florida’s coastal waters. The bills will prohibit importation, aquaculture and sale of illegally imported lionfish and they authorized FWC to adopt a rule to that effect. By stopping importation into Florida, it is anticipated that current demand for lionfish will be supplied by removal of invasive lionfish rather than increased importation from their native range. These bills, developed in close consultation with REEF and the FWC, mark one of the first legislative efforts to combat the invaders and comes on the heels of the first ever FWC Lionfish Summit. Comments and suggestions can be directed to Representative Holly Raschein’s office (phone: 850-717-5120). The bill will be considered by the Legislature during the 2014 session, which runs March 4th-May 2nd. For more information on the bills visitwww.myfloridahouse.gov or www.flsenate.gov.

1505467_646235865426425_1071961839_n.png

Huh. Kinda like getting smoke detectors after the family died in a fire. Maybe we can ban the importation of cane toads, big-assed snakes, and kudzu while we're at it.

Huh. Kinda like getting smoke detectors after the family died in a fire. Maybe we can ban the importation of cane toads, big-assed snakes, and kudzu while we're at it.

Can we add palmetto bushes to that?

what is means is that it's a step towards cutting back on new lionfish being imported. and that they've started to realize that the lionfish is hurting florida's saltwater fishing both recreational & commercial.
As Wookie said though -- these are measures after the damage has been done.

Our tax dollars hard at work!

I just saved 15% on my car insurance!!!!

Too late and pointless,based on the spread I say they are spread in ballast water from tankers/freighters or some other vector.I see them from the Keys to mid NC.In areas where there are entries from the open ocean into ports they are heaviest.I got this epiphany watching them deballast heading into port several times right where the populations were thickest.Off Frying Pan Shoal,Charleston,Brunswick,Jax etc ships pump over ballast to lighten them as they leave the deep water to inshore of the shelf.

It appears that like most laws it really is not supposed to achieve anything except another meaningless photo op for the politician’s to get on TV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom