Multiple divers from same boat to chamber today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A former colleague of mine was part of a dive group in Cozumel in which everyone went to the chamber. It was about 12 years ago. She gave me an article about it, which I lost about a decade ago.

They were doing a safety stop when all of a sudden things started to spin. They went down almost instantly to over 100 feet, and then the next thing they knew they were on the surface. The DM took everyone to the chamber as a precaution. None of them actually showed symptoms, though.

. That's why many divers around here scoff at the 'resort scuba' crowd who are used to valet service and an in water baby sitter.

I'm very happy as a "Resort Diver". That being said, you can't use that term to describe everything you stated IMHO. Me and my dive buddy (wife) don't need anyone to babysit us. Do we take advantage of knowledgeable dive guides to help us find local critters? Hell yes! We use the whole group for that! If you had a choice to stay at one of two Dive Resorts, equal in quality, yet one will haul your gear and one won't, which one would you choose? Me... it's a no brainer. Cause If I have to haul it, I have to haul 2 sets....LOL, and I'm over 50. I'm from SoCal and have done the channel island profile you mention...many times. I'd do it again if I didn't freeze my cajones off...no problem!!

It was a friend of the divers who initially claimed it was a down current, trying to cover for them. I knew all parties, dived with most of them. Only one of them ever talked openly I think, and none of them were known to claim the deep dive was an accident.

Don, it took a long time for the truth to start leaking out, and all the while it was doing great damage to the livelihood of the dive ops and professionals on this island who were loosing business as a result of it. Keeping quiet and letting the rumour continue (to this day as this thread has evidenced) is not the same as being open about the bumbassery that caused that incident. Allowing people to believe a lie about you in that instance is no different that telling it yourself, in my opinion.

---------- Post added March 13th, 2014 at 06:03 PM ----------

If I had to guess what happened my first guess would be a down current.

I'm not sure, but I like to think you are being sarcastic, and I like that in people. My first guess is always idiocy, as I have never seen a killer down current, but I see idiocy from divers every day.

They were doing a safety stop when all of a sudden things started to spin. They went down almost instantly to over 100 feet, and then the next thing they knew they were on the surface. The DM took everyone to the chamber as a precaution. None of them actually showed symptoms, though.

Isn't that from the Wizard of Oz?

I'm very happy as a "Resort Diver". That being said, you can't use that term to describe everything you stated IMHO. Me and my dive buddy (wife) don't need anyone to babysit us. Do we take advantage of knowledgeable dive guides to help us find local critters? Hell yes! We use the whole group for that! If you had a choice to stay at one of two Dive Resorts, equal in quality, yet one will haul your gear and one won't, which one would you choose? Me... it's a no brainer. Cause If I have to haul it, I have to haul 2 sets....LOL, and I'm over 50. I'm from SoCal and have done the channel island profile you mention...many times. I'd do it again if I didn't freeze my cajones off...no problem!!

Dude, I'm not scoffing - I've dove with some wonderful divers who prefer (like me and you apparently) to be warm, and not schlepping my gear down to Shaw's and back for 10' of viz. I meant that I was considered a 'warm water resort diver' (with my 20 year old NAUI card from St. Thomas) and definitely got some attitude my first trips out to the oil rigs/backside Catalina/Santa Barbara etc even though I had more experience in more conditions than most of the DUI guys.

I LOVE having someone show me where the cool stuff is -some of the best dives I've ever had have been with local DM's. I was just seconding Kari in saying that we are all certified divers, and although places like Cozumel make it easy to enjoy warm, hi visibility amazing diving with little perceived risk, it is a dangerous activity, and we should all be able to take care of ourselves.

I'm thinking of writing a "distinctive specialty" called "Advanced Dumbassery - How to not be a dumbass and how to avoid it in others"

The class would include:
  • How to wave goodbye to someone who has bolted for the surface or taken off for the briny deep
  • How to not run out of air
  • How to not follow anybody into any kind of overhead unless you're actually trained and equipped for it.
  • The risks of the phrase "Follow me!"
  • Why the term "personal record" is dangerous.

We already have that course, we call it Open Water Diver. I would suggest you call your course "No, we actually meant those things when we told them to you" :) It's not that people aren't given this information, it's more that they, and many of the "professionals" they are following around, don't think it applies to them.

Aliens.

There. I said it.

Ron Lee: Carlos & Charlie's is closed. Senor Frogs that was upstairs moved downstairs to C&C 's location. I'm told they are/were owned by the same people. Upstairs is currently empty. Maybe they lost business to Hooters as that seems to have people in it every time I go by. :shakehead:

Betty

Ron Lee: Carlos & Charlie's is closed. Senor Frogs that was upstairs moved downstairs to C&C 's location. I'm told they are/were owned by the same people. Upstairs is currently empty. Maybe they lost business to Hooters as that seems to have people in it every time I go by. :shakehead:
There's a Hooters in Coz now? Hmm, maybe I won't stay at an AI on my next trip...

Grupo Anderson owns both the Carlos & Charlie's and Senor Frog's chains as well as other iconic restaurants like the Shrimp Bucket in Mazatlan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom