Diving sidemount on liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am curious about diving sidemount on liveaboards. Is it allowed? If yes, what are the issues?

I talked to Explorer Ventures but I was told I can dive only one tank... it kind of kills a need for a sidemount then. I like sidemount for redundancy, if you dive with one tank, then sidemount does not make that much sense anymore.

I usually bring my own pony, though, if sidemount was a go, I wouldn't have to bother lugging a tank across countries.

What is your experience diving sidemount on non-technical charters?

I've never done a liveaboard, but I've done non-tech charters. The response from charter boats is typically that as long as I'm not holding up the schedule they don't care what I do. If I were you, I'd contact the specific liveaboard with a specific question. Something like:

"I want to dive SM for redundancy alone. Can I dive half of each of two tanks over two dives, using two tanks in two dives, as long as my bottom times are in line with other, single-tank divers?"

I dove with MS Miss Nouran in Egypt and they had no problem whatsoever. Just choose your boat and require what you need.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

…I talked to Explorer Ventures but I was told I can dive only one tank... it kind of kills a need for a sidemount then…

I would dig a little deeper on this one. I was on the T&C Explorer and they provided two Aluminum 65s to a guy that wanted to use back-mounted independent doubles. Many of us brought a 19 Ft³ bailout/pony, which is required to dive solo. Basically they don’t want people with vastly different bottom times and deco to screw up their schedule.

The issues with sidemount are many.

First, the amount of gas in a single cylinder naturally limits your dive. Most liveaboards run on a schedule, and the guy making 2 hour bottom times messes with the schedule. Your response: I'll limit myself to an hour bottom time. Our response: We'll limit you to a single cylinder.

Second, walking around on the deck of a rocking dive boat with 2 poorly rigged cylinders is cause for great alarm, not only for the crew, but for the other customers getting banged by your cylinders (who then complain tot he crew. You can't believe how many really poorly trained and self trained "sidemount divers" there are out there. Your response: (with a bit of huff) I know how to rig my cylinders. Our response: Yes, in the middle of your BC/Backplate is fine.

Third, a giant stride from 6 feet with even properly rigged sidemount cylinders can me onerous. The jump gate and entry gate are wide enough for a diver, not wide enough for a diver with 2 cylinders hanging off their hips to get through without hanging up on everything, banging the bulkheads and handrails, chipping the paint, etc. Dive-aholic (Ron Neto) has successfully jumped off the Spree with 2 steel 104's, 2 40's and his scooter. Rob is an exceptional sidemount diver. Others, not so much. Your response: I'll just have the crew lower my cylinders to me when I'm in the water. Our response: Say what? Your response: I'll just take my cylinders off and hand them up to the crew. Our response: Say What? Your response: If I chip a little paint, no biggie, you can patch it. Our response. Here's a single 80. Go have fun.

Fourth, even if I would lower your cylinders to you, or haul them back up, we want you in your scuba gear working and ready to use when you jump off the boat, and when you get back on. We want your regulator in your mouth when you giant stride off, and as you come up the ladder so we know it's working and your air is on. We want you jumping off and getting back on fully rigged so if the current is blowing like a hooker at a convention, you grab the granny line and head off towards the dive site. We don't want you flopping and twitching at the surface trying to get clipped in. The other passengers don't want to wait just 5 minutes while you get yourself situated. Your response: Well, I've paid just as much as them to come on the trip. Our response: Yes, but you're using twice the resources.

Last, I dive a pony for redundancy, just like you dive sidemount. Exactly like you dive sidemount. My pony is small and unobtrusive, rigged to my main cylinder, in fact, I use my doubles backmount setup to dive, with my left post reg with long hose on my main cylinder, and my right post reg with bungeed short hose on my pony. Your response: I like sidemount and I'm trained. Our response: Here's a pony for rent. Would you like a solo class too?

I'll stop short of calling sidemount a fad, but what I will say is that sidemount is a great tool for slipping through cave restrictions where it isn't proper to use backmount gear. There are no restricted caves where liveaboards tend to take their passengers. When you find a restricted swim-through in a coral reef, we really don't want you bulldozing your way through it anyway. If you are desperate to dive sidemount, Doppler is chartered for a trip on the Spree in August and another in September where he will be giving tips on sidemount rigging. It is an Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures trip, and doubles are welcome, because we're set up for it, and welcome it. Same price as a regular trip, but you get to dive to the limits of your certification. Recreational sidemount divers are welcome, because everyone knows what we are getting into.

Yes, we know we are limiting our clientele by not allowing sidemount on recreational dive trips. It's worth it.

Last edited:
What kind of dives are you planning on doing on this trip? My guess is a majority of the dives will be no deeper than 80 feet. With that being the case why do you need the additional cylinder? I've been on a lot of boats and simply jumped off with one cylinder clipped to the side. The second cylinder simply isn't needed. I'm limiting my depth and enjoying some recreational reef diving. The second cylinder just bulks things up. A single cylinder does not throw your trim off...at least not if you have enough diving experience. You don't even need a weight on the other side to offset it. And the nice thing is it's much easier to jump in the water and climb out without needing the crew's help. You're completely self-sufficient.

Here's a video of me doing a single tank sidemount dive several years ago. This was my first time diving single tank sidemount and the cylinder and harness weren't rigged up the way I do it now but the idea is to show you it's easy and safe. I don't even have a wing on during this dive.

As Wookie indicated I think you will get push back from most caribbean live aboards. They run to a schedule with dives 60 or 70 minutes max. They also impose depth limits and do not allow deco dives. They have their way of doing things and in general can attract more than enough clients that are willing to dive within the confines of the their rules.

So a single al80 is all that is required. No need for extra equipment. I once saw a diver with a small pony because he was solo certified and the crew were not real happy. There are always enough divers available that no one needs to go solo. He was allowed to use the pony, but was not allowed to dive solo.

Their boat, their rules.

ok single tank, but does it have to be back mount? dont see the need to rent a back mount BCD when I already have a nice familiar sidemount harness that can run a single tank. of course with 2 regs on the 1st stage

Last edited:
I know both the (former) Buddy dive boats and the Galapagos Sky have no problem with guests in sidemount. And I also know someone who has dived (dove?) SM on the Juliet. So there are some liveaboards where it's not an issue.

I'll admit SM on a larger boat is a pain in the arse, and I agree with Wookie that a diver walking the deck with two poorly rigged bottle is a hazard for both divers and crews.. If you are diving recreationally, not sure why you adopted SM, there is no reason why you can't dive with a single tank. I have dove SM on larger boats and this is strategy I have adapted, it works well for me.. I pack a 30ct or 40 ct pony with me and the rigging for a 80ft, on the boat I rig the bottle and stow it under my bench. Once the boat is moored, I drop my 80 on 20foot line off the side of the boat opposite or out of the way of entering divers. I clip on the 40 and enter the water then dive down and pick up my 80 (making sure to never allow the bottle not have a hard point connect to my drop line or me..). Exiting the water, I clip back to my drop line with the 80 then make my way back to the swim platform.. This is a very nimble setup for boat diving and provides redundancy of standard SM with one primary bottle so I have the same profile as the rest of the divers on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom