Wetsuit configuration for Northern California diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 7mm beaten 2 piece free-dive suit... works like a champ! I use 5mm socks and gloves with it.
Winter time (when the water nice and crispy) its more like 47F and a little chilly but summer never a problem.

I have been diving in Maine waters for 4 years, usually do around 25 to 30 dives a season. Early on the temps are around 40-42 degrees, mid season bottom temps can be mid 50's. I use a Henderson 7mm farmer john and step in jacket. 7mm hood and boots, 2mm socks in the boots ( always have cold feet..). For me the hands are a tough call, dexterity vs. warmth. Sometimes I do the 1st dive with a 5mm semi dry glove, and the second with a fresh pair of 7mm gauntlet style gloves, or 7mm lobster mitts, but their lack of dexterity worries me sometimes.
Switched to steel 100's last year to keep the weight down, it was an improvement. A lot of the entries are over rocks, so the less weight the better. This setup keeps me warm, but I am planning to go dry next year anyways, getting to old...

I also dive Maine waters. Dry is the best option, used you can get set up for 600-1000, double that new. I took me 30 years to spend that much on one piece of gear. I spent more than that on a collection of wet suits, which I do still use and enjoy. Once piece semi-wet SolAFX with 8mm of hyper stretch and built in hood is my most comfy setup. However is crushes at 80' to become a bit cool. I have a farmer john + jacked in 7MM (14MM on core) which is warmer at depth (stiff neoprene), but have some PITA time don/doffing. Both are good till 50, then the fun is gone. I have dove wet to 40, I am too old for that crap now.

The real issue for me diving dry vs wet if the surface temp. If its cold outside, cold water becomes a 1 fun dive and one passable dive wet. Dry is comfy all day long 3-4 tanks, all I need is a spare set of gloves.

Back
Top Bottom