Malaga tourist dies in Mexico in a diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whereisthesea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have just this in my local forum. Does anyone have any other information?

Malaga tourist dies in Mexico in a diving accident

Peter Benet, based in Marbella, was diving in the lagoon Luum Kaan Riviera Maya

Peter Benet, 36 and living in Marbella, has been killed while practicing diving in Luum Kaan lagoon located south of Tulum, one of the resorts in the Riviera Maya. The body was found by professional divers after four days of searching. According to local press publishes the events occurred last Friday when Benet stepped into the lagoon with his partner. At around 11:00 am the man plunged into the waters of Kaan Luum intending to descend a few meters and return quickly helping guide your partner that held on the surface. After a while, according collected daily from the area, the guide was not loose and Benet rose to the surface so that the woman he notified the authorities, who initiated the search efforts. A diver proceeded to dive into the cenote, which has over 85 feet deep, but could not find the body. As explained by the Diario de Quintana Roo "to 38 feet deep the water was completely cold and could not see anything." In addition, the rescuer found that several rocks had fallen in the area so they could have caught suspected the deceased. After four days of searching the body was found yesterday by professional divers at the bottom of an area whose shape resembled an underwater tube. 's family Benet, well known in Marbella, has moved to Mexico and even actively participated in the search efforts of the deceased. yesterday This journal is put in touch with the consul of Spain in Mexico, who confirmed the death of the young Spanish and said that they were making all the arrangements for the repatriation of the body. Moreover, sources with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs lamented the "tragic diving accident" that ended with the death of a Spanish-Ministry does not detail the name or provenance by data-protection, noted that the consulate "has been in contact with the family and providing consular assistance, "and stressed the good cooperation with the local authorities both in research and in the rescue of the corpse.

Muere un turista malagueño en México en un accidente de buceo

What I understand is that it was cave diving, not a very simple dive in a lagoon. And to dive solo in a cave, even for a quick dive, is never a good idea. I won't comment on the training and equipment, since we have no details yet...

It seems he has broken the first rule on scuba diving, never dive alone. Sad because his wife.

Postcript: When it says feet deep means meters.

"...an area whose shape resembled an underwater tube." Yikes, when will they ever learn?

No, PADI does not. It is a Self-Reliant Diver certification, and the word "solo" is nowhere in the materials. It is intended to prepare you for being a better buddy, and for those occasional times when you must dive alone. But it never says "solo"! SDI does indeed offer a Solo course.....which as it turns out the PADI course is almost identical to.....

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

I could not follow the OP. It says he rose to the surface?

Sorry to disagree with you, but there is no such rule. Even Padi now provides Solo diving certification.

I didn't know there was a solo diving certification, thanks for posting. Anyway, it won't be me the one who practice it, and hope I don't see anyone around here who thinks it is just as safe as doing it with a partner.

Here there are some contradictory version about his equipment, and his dive mode.

This link says he was wearing 2 oxigen tanks

Desaparece turista español en laguna del Ejido Tulum. :: [url]www.quequi.com.mx :: Tulum[/URL]

Another one who says he was carrying a single tank

Suspenden búsqueda de turista desaparecido en una laguna de Tulum

This 2 links talk about free diving, and they didn't mention anything about any tank.

Desaparece turista español en cenote de Tulum por presunto deslave | Noticaribe
Sigue búsqueda del cuerpo de turista español

Back
Top Bottom