"More" technical position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A common problem with new divers. We're all conditioned to spend pretty much all of our waking time in the "vertical" position ... and when we begin learning horizontal positioning in the water it tends to feel like we're standing on our head. Some people have more of a problem with it than others, but I see it commonly. It is, by the way, one of the reasons why so many instructors train new divers on their knees (more comfortable orientation for the new diver), and why you see so many new divers maintaining at least some degree of verticality when they're swimming. Unfortunately, the side effect of that is a much higher level of effort than you need to put into diving and therefore higher air consumption (due to the extra exertion).

All joking around aside, these prior posts have the right idea ... you need to "reprogram" your brain to be used to functioning in the horizontal position. Some dry-land exercises can help with that.

As for the "leg heavy" sensation, adding weight won't solve that problem ... moving some of your weights higher on your body probably will.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGrateful nailed it, as usual, before I even read the post. Hi, Bob! A couple additional tips: If diving single tank, mount it higher so the valve hits you in the back of the head (really). Diving dry, get a little air into your feet to help them get up higher. Do what you must to get the balance point at your hips, so that you can hover horizontally, head down, or feet down, without making any effort other than to tuck slightly.

theskull

Be aware that the solutions for trim issues can be quite counterintuitive.

:thumb:

If your legs are hanging down, try adding a tail weight.

Doesn't make sense does it?

Artificially lengthening the tank can actually help bring your legs up as it gives you the confidence to really push into a horizontal position. It's a common fix in the UK. We will either dive with Long Euro 12 cylinders or shorter Faber 12 (both steel) with an added tailweight. By giving you a counterbalance you gain the confidence to tilt yourself forward while removing the subconscious belief that you will execute a forward roll.

I argued long and hard about this with a GUE Instructor friend of mine, and after I tried it I was rather humbled.

Greetings Captain my advice would be to research these recommended articles / threads build some tools to try then seek out a mentor "experienced diver" who assist you.
If you have access to a go pro camera or similar video your dives, pay attention to your trim, body position, etc.
Keep a detailed log of what you are trying and your findings.
If you put this type of time in you will determine the method that works for you.

You can not substitute time in the water and do not become frustrated it will take a few dives to get it figured out.
Mastery of trim / buoyancy is a process that takes time and a willingness to seek out what works for you.
We have had some students that were excessively leg heavy but with the right attitude and commitment we could get them trimmed out.
Diving is supposed to be fun so don't let this bum you out, take breaks when you need to regain focus.
Seek out some good experienced dive buddies to assist you.

CamG

I think there is a mental component involved in this as well....and this is one reason why it is so incredibly easy for a freediver to become a scuba diver with flat horizontal trim...for most freedivers, being flat horizontal in scuba gear is about as hard as inhaling.

The point here, is that if you can, do some freediving with wetsuit and weight belt, and utilize the bio-feedback of how you slide best through the water---you never want to waste energy like most scuba divers do with lots of drag, and this is typified by the swimming head up and feet down issue you bring up in this thread. For a freediver, you just know that you need the efficiency of swimming underwater in horizontal trim--it is the natural instinct--and it is easy to feel whether you are getting this or not. Also true is the feeling of a big kick, and a big glide. And then of optimizing these. The huge bow wave a scuba diver creates with the heads up and legs down swimming posture, would be unlikely for a freediver to ever do accidentally, because they are in tune with efficient motion--which scuba divers usually are not. Try this and see.

When you have freedived several times, and gotten some skills in it....you may decide you need to put some weight higher on your tank, or modify which exposure suit you want to use....but the big thing here is that you will feel what you need to do, rather than feel clueless as so many scuba divers do.

Back
Top Bottom