Looking for a FFM.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like the guardian is the route I'm going. I tried on the guardian, ocean reef predator, and an aga. I liked all of them but the guardian and aga felt solid like a tool. I felt the aga and guardian were very close fit wise. The deciding factor was the cost of rebuild kits, the feel of the silicone double seal, right side hose routing, standard fitting to more easily switch out hoses for length or material.

Go Guardian, you won't regret it. I've been teaching FFM with the Guardian for a year now and I chose mine based on how it fit and the field of view and it's solid, not flimsy. I tried them all on at DEMA one year before deciding. OTS just makes an awesome product.

Looks like the guardian is the route I'm going. I tried on the guardian, ocean reef predator, and an aga. I liked all of them but the guardian and aga felt solid like a tool. I felt the aga and guardian were very close fit wise. The deciding factor was the cost of rebuild kits, the feel of the silicone double seal, right side hose routing, standard fitting to more easily switch out hoses for length or material.

If you change your mind, I have a brand new, still in the box, never removed from the box, Neptune Space G FFM that I won in a dive contest. I will likely never use it so will sell it for a pretty good discount off of new. Let me know if you are interested.

Pulled the trigger on a used all black guardian and a d2 buddy phone. Its only got 2 dives on it. I also picked up a used apeks fst first stage to go with it. Drill time in the pool to follow

In my agency we used to dive the AGA. We have now transitioned to the guardian. There are positives and negatives for both. I prefer the guardian as the on demand air Vs. the positive pressure of the AGA has cut down on leaks around the face. The issue for quick donning the guardian is getting the dry hood (for us) over the edges of the mask to prevent leaks whereas on the AGA you could put it outside the hood. we had problems with AGA straps breaking over time because guys were reefing them down so hard to prevent leaks outside the hood

Mike

as a bonus i can get a lot longer time using a guardian.....(on demand) GOPR3128.jpg

Update, I've run my drills with the guardian an I absolutely with out a doubt love it! I am very comfortable donning, doffing, flooding, clearing, and switching to an alternate mask and secondary air source. I'm now looking for a gas switching block and a 30 to 40 cuft pony to go with it. The guardian is my favorite piece of scuba gear. What hoods have people had success with the guardian? Am I better off with a trimmed hood over my guardian seals or a hood with a thin seal to go under my guardian seals?

If you are going to use a thin latex hood, it should seal properly and you shouldn't have an issue.

If you are going to dive with a neoprene hood, it should be trimmed away from the face because of the air that gets in the neoprene. Although you MAY get a seal over a neoprene hood, it isn't common and usually the mask would have to be cranked down on the diver's head...not the recommended way to go. Having a direct seal to the skin of the face is ideal.

When we dive our masks, we all have trimmed hoods. Put the mask on your face, have a friend take a magic marker to trace around the mask (we use a color that is the same or similar to the mask color so that if you get marker on your mask you can't see it) and trim with some scissors. Takes about 2 minutes and you get a good clean seal every time on a dive.

I personally have a Mares 6.4.3. Flexa with Bib that is trimmed.

TC:
If possible try them out, see if any of your local dive shops have one or the other.

I prefer the Guardian.

+ 1. Go to OTS web wage they do have used one from time to time. Try EBAY. Also if you ever get communication and you will OTS has the best. Just got my 2010 in. pick up a STX 101 a few weeks ago off Ebay.

Back
Top Bottom