Bathtub Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vis is heavily influenced by ANY wave action. I was at the house of refuge Monday- vis was poor from the small swell lines rolling in. There have been days at bathtub that look like the bahamas- crystal clear and fish everywhere. No breaks in the reef pretty much anywhere so high-tide is a MUST for crossing the shallow area. I saw an x-ray photo from someone who was walking aross the reef and stepped on an urchin- looked really painful.

Ya'll might have seen this video from a while ago I shot at bathtub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IWcGtDyfMs

Ill look on my computer to see what other footage I might have hiding

---------- Post added February 25th, 2014 at 06:12 PM ----------

...I have been on the Georges Valentine wreck a few times which is just North of BTB.
No reef to see, but plenty of critters at wreck.

The valentine wreck is cool if you have never done it. I lead a guided tour every Monday at 10AM (weather permitting) from the House of Refuge to explore the wreck. check out their website- If anyone is interested contact the House of refuge to sign up! houseofrefugefl.org.

Steve, is there any way to better predict vis? Is going over the reef the only way to get to the other side? I know you posted awhile ago about going south 100 yards, how do you know when it's far enough? We walked a good distance south and still had to swim over through the surf. Does the visibility of the beach area dictate visibility around the reef?

Do you charge for the guided tour of the Valentine Wreck, if so how much? How often do you have to cancel this vs not due to poor vis?

I think it would be better to enter on the north end (where the reef meets the beach) and swim south. I did that last May, but like others pointed here, the vis was not great and did not enjoy the dive ( also was pretty rough). If you enter on the south end, I really don't think there's an opening to cross, you'd have to time entering at high tide so you don't damage the reef or get stuck.

I have snorkeled one more time there in July and the vis was pretty good(maybe 25+ feet). Does anyone know if you swim further out, is there a reef or anything worth exploring?

This is Google maps. Looks like a good hike to any possible break. There does appear to a shallower section of the reef. I'm not sure how this would do at HT.

2vcayar.jpg

for vis I watch the beach cams and check the marine forecast looking for west winds- google search bathtub beach cam. vis will clear up after around a week of light winds. as a matter of fact, tomorrow looks good! Looks like the google map picked a good day to take aerial photos- you can see the reef structure really well! There are pretty much no breaks in the reef so high tide is a MUST for crossing to the outside- remember the reef is alive and walking on it is prohibited. during high tide you can expect water depths on top of the reef to be 2-3' The point Chen pointed out is like a 1/2 mile walk down the beach. The best way Ive found to dive off the beaches locally is via kayak.

for the valentine dive, this is a free event I donate my time to. This time of year I have only had one day so far where the vis has been cooperative enough to make the swim to the wreck.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2014 at 05:45 PM ----------

... Does anyone know if you swim further out, is there a reef or anything worth exploring?

the reef will slope to the east to a max depth of 21', then it turns into sand.

Has anyone spearfished BTB and if so did the older lifeguard give you any problems. He seems to have a history of calling FWC and claiming people are spearing snook. He isn't a very polite guy.

How far out are you swimming before you start spearing?

Past first reef. Its 127 yards from high tide. I talke to FWC and Martin Co. Today and they both say what I am doing is 100% fine. The lifeguard called sheriff yesterday but I was gone. I found this out because I called dispatch to see if any officers were called to BTB. Well the officer said the lifeguard wanted to argue with him when he didn't take his side. I have cell #s of both FWC and Martin Co officers. Both said I could walk all over the beach and enter where I want as long as I dont come inside the first reef. FWC also told me to give them a call if he continues, and he can be cited for harassing fisherman in the lawful activity of taking game. All is good in the hood. Im sure this lifeguard will continue trying to kick less informed spearfisherman off the beach.

There's fish out there?

Last time I was there saw fingernail sized fish and a stoic guitar fish

Sent from my iPhone from my momma's basement

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom