Newbie question...buying a wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Painter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am buying a shortie wet suit to use for snorkelling. The one that I think I am going to buy has a size chart and I fall right on the edge of two different sizes. Am I better off going with one that is maybe a bit too small, or a bit too big?

Can you try on or are you buying online? If you are in between sizes I would choose the smaller one as they will stretch. Suits need to be snug in order to be effective. Good luck.

---------- Post added February 19th, 2014 at 10:03 AM ----------

PS Welcome to Scubaboard.

I'm buying online. Fortunately the customer service person said buy both and just return the one that isn't right. Thanks for your help.

I'm buying online. Fortunately the customer service person said buy both and just return the one that isn't right. Thanks for your help.

Cool, trying on is the only way to be sure. Let us now which one you choose I'm curious. It has been my experience if between sizes the smaller one is almost the best bet. Cheers.

Dont buy both, buy 1 and send it back for an exchange if it doesn't fit. I would be very weary of anyone saying buy both and them send back the one that does not fit. You are probably going to be waiting forever to get your money back.

Start with the smaller size as all wetsuits will stretch and compress over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would reconsider using a shortie for snorkeling - you will wind up with some funny [-]tan[/-] burn lines very quickly.

Dont buy both, buy 1 and send it back for an exchange if it doesn't fit. I would be very weary of anyone saying buy both and them send back the one that does not fit. You are probably going to be waiting forever to get your money back.

Start with the smaller size as all wetsuits will stretch and compress over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Actually this is fairly common practise and in my experience has never been an issue. DGX operate this system and they are one of the best retailers out there, ditto Scubatoys, there are many others. As long as the store not some garage operation in some far flung place you will almost certainly not have any issue.

I just tried on the two suits. I couldn't get the smaller all the way to my shoulders, so I'm going for the larger. It feels pretty tight, too, but I'm sure it will stretch some. Can't wait to try it out for real in the VI three days from now.

Why not support your local dive shop?

Why not support your local dive shop?
What an obnoxious question! If you must know, there is only one dive shop near where I live and the one time that I went in there, they acted like I was an jerk for asking newbie questions. What's more, I am self-employed and I depend on people from my local community to support me as I support them. Nobody from my local dive shop has ever done the LEAST bit to support me or my business, so why should I feel the least bit obligated to support them? Listen, I buy all of my books from independent booksellers in my area, I buy all of my beer from small distributers, I buy...wait a second, I buy an awful lot from local people who actually CONTRIBUTE to the local economy. As far as I know, my local dive shop only takes.

Can you honestly say that you support all of the small business people, artists and craftspeople that need and depend on every dollar that they can get? I do my best to, but I have to say, one reason why I have stayed in business successfully is that I give back to my community. It is a two way street. And I treat all of my customers and potential customers with respect.

Back
Top Bottom