Chac Mool vs. Dos Ojos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 'Pet Cemetery' dive is near the same place and much better (though less dove) than the others. The lighted massive air pocket alone on the dive is jaw dropping incredible.

. KIMG0022.jpgKIMG0028.jpg

Last edited:
Chac Mool is basically a lot of rocks. Dos Ojos is a more like a "cave" with stalactites and stalagmites. If these 2 were my only choices, I would pick Dos Ojos.

As a first time Cave dive, do you guys recommend these two? I want to start out with something easier until I get some more experience

Cave or Cavern? Not sure what you are certified for.. I have dove both systems in and beyond the light zone, and appreciate the them for what they are. If you are recreational and want a cool dive with lots of light rays peaking thru for cool effects then Chac Mool, if you want a little more overhead and ornamentation then Dos Ojos. If you are working on your cave diver, chances are your first dive will be Chac Mool, it is commonly used for training. Chac Mool also has one of the most pronounced haloclines in the area, also near the air dome you will experience tannic waters. I think one of the cool things about that system is that you can do a traverse, and around 1500 feet in there is a pit that drops down to 90feet with a pillar at the bottom called Mayan Tears.. Near there you will also see some fossils of ancient animals... I think the big complaint is that the light zone of the system is not "cave enough", yes it is a lot of big rocks without the decoration of some of the other systems, but it is a good cenote to get your buoyancy worked out before hitting another system. My big issue is that some operators push beyond the light zone so that recreational divers can see more of the interesting features at chac mool..

I've never done Dos Ojos, but my wife and I did two dives in Chac Mool (Pequeno Hermano and Kukulkan)....and they were awesome. I'm Full Cave so it wasn't THAT good, but the halocline was fantastic. It made my wife nervous the first time, but she started enjoying it after that. Rain levels and a bunch of other factors contribute to the location of the halocline, and the halocline hit right on a long, flat, straight section which was not fun for her.....but it wasn't a huge concern.

In fact, on my big "Full Cave" dives the next day, I thought the location of the halocline was the most breathtaking feature.....and it was a gorgeous cave!

Moral of the story? Be safe. The dives will be spectacular no matter where you go.

Cave or Cavern? Not sure what you are certified for.. I have dove both systems in and beyond the light zone, and appreciate the them for what they are. If you are recreational and want a cool dive with lots of light rays peaking thru for cool effects then Chac Mool, if you want a little more overhead and ornamentation then Dos Ojos. If you are working on your cave diver, chances are your first dive will be Chac Mool, it is commonly used for training. Chac Mool also has one of the most pronounced haloclines in the area, also near the air dome you will experience tannic waters. I think one of the cool things about that system is that you can do a traverse, and around 1500 feet in there is a pit that drops down to 90feet with a pillar at the bottom called Mayan Tears.. Near there you will also see some fossils of ancient animals... I think the big complaint is that the light zone of the system is not "cave enough", yes it is a lot of big rocks without the decoration of some of the other systems, but it is a good cenote to get your buoyancy worked out before hitting another system. My big issue is that some operators push beyond the light zone so that recreational divers can see more of the interesting features at chac mool..

Sorry, that was a typo on my part. I meant to say Cavern. I don't have any interest on pushing my limitations as I only have about 25-30 dives under my belt.

Dos Ojos. See my previous comment on Chac Mool which I would never do again.

I did sink through a halocline, possibly at Gran or Carwash, and that was neat. Swimming in a mixed up halocline region for most of the dive...not enjoyable.

Last edited:
Dos Ojos. See my previous comment on Chac Mool which I would never do again.

I did sink through a halocline, possibly at Gran or Carwash, and that was neat. Swimming in a mixed up halocline region for most of the dive...not enjoyable.

I had the same experience at Chac Mool and agree.

As for Dos Ojos, I will say that it is dove so much that many of the entrances to the different chambers are banged up from all of the tanks hitting them. Buoyancy control is an issue for many of the divers. Still a great first time cenote dive.

Also, I normally ocean dive around that part in a 3 mil, but I prefer a 5 mil for the cenotes. I don't have my dive log handy, but I think it's around 5 degrees cooler.

PH

Does anyone know which cenote in the Gran/Carwash area has a halocline?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom