East End March or April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ntmainstrm

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there much difference in weather, temps, crowds?
Thanks,
Lee

Thanks Alex,
Sorry to take so long to answer. I was not watching this thread. I will from now on.
We are staying at Morritt's and it looks to me like Tortuga and Ocean Frontiers are the East End choices. If you have preferences I would very much welcome your input. I think Tortuga Divers is Red Sail Sports and so I assume would be easier to book a Kittiwake/ Stingray City day through them. I also have read good things about OF. Both seem to have boats of 12-24 divers. Is this the norm in East End CI or are smaller dive ops/boats also available?

That's the only two that are out there afaik. Except the shop at the Reef Resort but that's Red Sail also.

Ocean Frontiers has arrangements with Lobster Pot Dive Center in Georgetown to dive the Kittiwake on Tuesday afternoon. But you have to get yourselves there. Kittiwake Wreck Dive

I don't think OF dives SRC - just snorkel. My buddy used/liked them last winter for East End dives.

Tortuga does Stingray City from their Rum Point location. So you can drive there from Morritt's or drive all the way around to the west side of the Sound where the other operators leave from. That's probably an hour plus drive from Morritts.
Note: Stingray City dives depart from the Rum Point Dock which is a 25 minute drive from Morritt's Tortuga Club and Resort.

Tortuga is part of Red Sail - http://www.tortugadivers.com/

Was at Morritt's last July and used OF. My second time with both. here is a run down.

All shops at that end run 40+ft boats. You will be glad to have that size boat if the water gets rough.

Ocean Frontiers will have better service and more experienced divers. They set the standard for customer service. Been diving since 1990, about 3 trips/yr, never found another place that matches their service. Once delivered, never touch your gear again unless you want to. They carry it, rinse it, hang it, lock it, put it back on the boat for your next scheduled dive, setup the BC and gear for you. You just show up and dive unless you want it different.
You have to drive to their office, which takes maybe 5 min. You can dive your computer, head off on your own with a buddy, stay down as long as you have air/time. If you want a tour with a dive guide, they provide it.
Easy to setup Stingray city or anything else you want. I did S.R. city and loved it...again.

If you dive with the shops at the Timeshare resorts, you get timeshare divers. They dive rarely, use air quickly, move quickly, its often family's with kids. Often divers that are new to diving.
No complaints with new people diving and their activities. Just a question of what kind of diver are you and what kind do you want around you when diving.

For me, its no comparison. I would dive Ocean Frontiers but they match what I love about diving.

That time of yr, most dives will be south of the island. Its all based on the wind and can vary every day. The night dive is not so interesting. Done it twice, would not do it again.

You will want at least a full 3mm. I move very slowly, often spend 3-5 minutes in once place for a photo, generate little body heat, use gas slow and stay down long. I would take a 5 mm and full thin hood and gloves. Your experience may be different.
OF can tell you the ave water temp both now and projected. I found my emails to be answered quickly and efficiently.

I likely did a trip report last July or August if you want to search for it.
Pics from that trip are posted here.
http://www.shiningseastudio.com/Underwater/Grand-Cayman/30498948_BWpd7w#!i=2649003262&k=mD2Fkk9

Note: Silversides will NOT be in the carverns during your visit unless a miracle happens. They usually show up in summer.

Thanks for such great responses.
KCMAYES1 I will look for your trip report.

I will be renting a car so could do OF and/or Tortuga at Rum Point to SRC.

If you had the opportunity, would you try to plan an additional couple of days in West End or stay in the East?

Lee

Thanks for such great responses.
KCMAYES1 I will look for your trip report.

I will be renting a car so could do OF and/or Tortuga at Rum Point to SRC.

If you had the opportunity, would you try to plan an additional couple of days in West End or stay in the East?

Lee

Trying to come with a comparison of the west vs east sides.
The east side is more open spaces, small grocery and businesses in spots but long distances between built up areas, lovely views of the ocean from the road in places.
The west side is more like visiting Miami Beach but with shorter bldgs. Lots of traffic often moving slowly, continuous business structures, no views of the ocean unless you park and walk to it. Finding parking to walk to the beach takes some effort unless you are staying at a resort with it. We stopped by the Marriott to see what their beach was like. Chairs and umbrellas touching each other and no space for people to actually walk much less have a concept of open space. I could not get out fast enough.
If you find a place to park and walk to the west beach, its lovely and not crowded in most places.

Diving Devil's grotto is a nice shore dive on the west side. I loved it with Silversides and tarpon present. Given a choice, I would drive to it to dive it then escape back to the east side. Without the silversides, not certain I would make the drive.

So for me, I would stay east unless I ponied up the cash for a non-crowded beach resort that supplied chairs, shade umbrellas and services. That is what you are leaving behind on the east at Morritt's. The Morritt's beach is smaller, the sand less white but no crowd and no hassles.

Kcmayes1
Nice photos David.
How does the diving differ on East or West?
Lee

Back
Top Bottom