Big island ...suggestion needed for scuba and snorkeling.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok thanks. I'll snorkel with my non diver wife for manta.

For daytime diving. .. which dive co. Is the bang for buck?

I might do few dives that's all. I'm still a beginner who got Padi ow cert in Bonaire. I need good safety and attention.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ok thanks. I'll snorkel with my non diver wife for manta.

For daytime diving. .. which dive co. Is the bang for buck?

I might do few dives that's all. I'm still a beginner who got Padi ow cert in Bonaire. I need good safety and attention.

I'm partial to Kona Honu. All the ops are good, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm jealous about Bonaire. I waiting for the right deal and flight to align so I can go.

Only having gone with Jacks Diving Locker, I would say they are good. They had been recommended to me by someone we know who lives in Kona, although I had found them online before that. They were convenient to our location and as I posted earlier, really good people. Go to their website and check them out. I get an online newsletter from them that tells a lot of what's going on. As to safety, you will get the same safety guideline for everything you do with them each time before boarding the boat. They have safety in mind.

I agree with fisheater though that all of the ops are probably pretty good.

I second the recommendation for Jacks. I was there last November and had a great time. Diving in Kona isn't cheap, but we had some awesome dives. We had a mind-blowing Manta dive with 40 (yes 40!) mantas at once. It was surreal.

The manta video is at: Hawaii Manta Dive - YouTube

and the photos are at: Hawaii 2013 - a set on Flickr

Enjoy!

We always used PacRim for our day dives, and Kona Honu for the Manta Dive. You really can't go wrong with most operations; there are not many dive operators in the BI and they will generally call around to the other ops if they can't accommodate you.

Awesome. What about pricing? Are they all pretty similar rates between those dive companies?

Everything is pricey in Hawaii so I might just do one day dive and a night manta snorkel.

Yeah Bonaire was amazing. .. every nook and corner was filled with life. Wonder how big island is compared for diving that is.... can't wait.

Also guys, apart from whale watching. We want to do spinner dolphin watching and take a short boat ride. What are the worthy boat rides in BI?

I remember the napali coast boat trip in Kauai was awesome last time ! Thanks

Captain Dan Mc Sweeney's whale watching tour leaves out of the same harbor as Jacks Diving Locker, so if familiarity means anything, it's easy to get to.

Capt. Dan, who I found online and who was also recommended by a person we know on the island, is THE expert on whales. He knows his stuff and knows where to go. It is a learning experience.

Jon

Hi all,
I'm in big island now. Did snorkel in kahalulu . It was great, kids had fun. Nice variety of fish and turtles.

I also heard of a tidal pool called kapaho? And also a place where we can see big fish like Pacific Chubb.

Are these worth it for adults to check out?

Any other tidal pools?

Gonna check place of refuge, manta night snorkel etc soon.

Kapoho is fabulous for a snorkel but it's way down by the southeast tip of the island, below Hilo. That vicinity regularly has rough seas so I'd pick low tide for that spot. The tide pools extend out far enough that there are plenty back away from the surf even when it's rough.

Big fish are everywhere in the Kona vicinity, especially where you can find deep water right at the shoreline, off the lava bench. Try Honaunau/Two-Step (20 miles south of Kailua) for a great snorkel or scuba, lots and lots of coral. It's one of the few places that's doable when other places are a little rough, and it's among the best to boot. Swim out to the left 100yds or more and look for big fish up along the shoreline walls. I recall seeing lots of chub along the dropoff, including the cream-colored ones, at Kealakekua Bay/Cook's Monument. You have to take a boat or kayak to get there though. It's also a very protected spot, and great for a snorkel or dive

There are a couple of other good spots for bigger fish closer to town but the entries and exits require a little more care. Try Old Airport if you get a chance, down at the west end of the runway, enter at the cove just beyond. You can go out/left, or around to the right. I'd recommend left and out for the first dive. Lots of cool stuff among the many lava canyons and sandy patches. On one of the sandy patches, we had a huge mu/Big Eye Emperor - one of my top favorite fishes, and usually very wary - hang right with us as we were poking around the sand. It was fascinated with my dive buddy and stayed just beyond arms length. Very unusual for those fish.

If you do a boat dive with one of the Kailua outfits like Big Island Divers, and conditions are decent, odds are high that they'll take you to Konahaiki, just north of the boat harbor. Lots of big fish there and great exploring. Make sure they take you to a couple of the many caverns there up along the wall, not just the flats. I regularly see dive groups poking around the rather unremarkable flats without going up into the canyons and caverns, yet they're typically quite tame.

I see you asked about dolphins and boat rides. If you want to have a nice snorkel exploration trip, try one of the many zodiac-style small boat outfits. You might try asking if they're going to do Red Hill and down to Kona Paradise - great 'cliff' scenery and a couple of sea caves. Sometimes they end up at Honaunau/Place of Refuge, which can easily be done from shoreline, or at Kealekekua Bay. The dive charters don't typically go that far south these days, unless you pony up about $200 for a long range trip. I don't recommend a boat for dolphins, those buggers are too smart for that. There are a couple of places where the odds are high of a great dolphin time from a shore entry, but you might have to try two or three days. If that's what you want, ask around for the good spots.

Since I can't be there, I'll just go on and on. Definitely scuba for the manta dive. While I'm sure the snorkeler's get almost as good of a manta show, the divers get to partake of everything else that's going on, at least the ones that pay attention. Look out and around, it's not just mantas at the party. I've done a couple of the trips with a twilight dive just before the manta dive, and those have been above average as well. The fish seem to become quite placid and approachable at dusk, and there are often mantas around then as well.

Thanks spoolin. I just booked manta night and a day time 2 tank dive with Jack's. That's for me to see only.

I've never snorkeled in tidal pool. ..
How's the entry for kapaho... is it easy assuming it's low tide and there's no waves crashing it. Distance from parking?

Thanks bud...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom