Atomic mask feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Atomic Frameless is by far and above the very best mask I have ever owned in all aspects. I have no issues with the nose pocket which again, is by far and above the very best.

N

I don't know, I'm pretty partial to my atomic venom mask...... My frameless makes a great backup though.

I have no issues with my frameless either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If the mask works for you that's all that matters.

I'm right now looking at the mask in comparison to four different other masks (3 Scubapro and 1 Aqualung). The lens/frame of the Atomic Frameless runs down below the nose and VERY close to the nose for the full length of the nose. Ie, there is no--literally "no"--access to the nose pocket. On the four other masks, the frame not only stops just above the base of the nose, but there is considerable space between the frame and the nose. Ie, there is access to the nose pocket.

That's it. Fact. If the Atomic Frameless works for you, GREAT. It's otherwise a fantastic mask. But it is not usual in the degree to which it blocks access to the nose pocket.

Take a look at the pic. And keep in mind that the Atomic has even less access than might be apparent from the picture, as the almost invisible clear silicone skirt wraps around the lens along the full length of the nose pocket.
P2200228.jpg

I think you and a significant number of people have differing understandings of the meaning of the term "nose pocket", because I'm not pinching anywhere near the tip in my Frameless and there's no clearance issues with my large fingers grabbing the sides of the nose pocket.

However, I'm not disputing the Frameless doesn't work for you or that you're missing something--apparently your nose and that mask aren't friendly. Hopefully someone else can get a great deal on an awesome mask out of it :)

I think you and a significant number of people have differing understandings of the meaning of the term "nose pocket", but I'm not disputing the Frameless doesn't work for you. Hopefully someone else can get a great deal on an awesome mask out of it :)

Maybe we do not have your nose? Are you selling an Atomic Frameless, standard, black, because if so, I will buy it?

N

I might sell it now if you want to make me an offer I can't refuse.

But I would like to do another dive in this mask and see if I can get used to clearing without access to the nose pocket. As I said, I otherwise really like this mask, which is the only reason I am so frustrated--otherwise I would have already sold it. The field of vision is fantastic (but, honestly, it is also fantastic on the other two masks pictured, esp the Micromask on the right). Where Atomic beats the other two is on the crisp clarity of the lens--I think there is a noticeable difference in this regard. But you can easily see that there is an inviting nose pocket on the other two masks. In fact, on the Scubapro, the nose pocket is textured silicone, in anticipation of fingers. And on the Micromask the space is even larger than on the Scubapro. There is NO such space on the Atomic.

Again, if you can equalize then fine. Maybe I too can learn another way. One more dive in the mask, this time with the mask strap slightly tighter so that it doesn't leak every time I jam my fingers into my nostrils and squeeze.

Maybe we do not have your nose? Are you selling an Atomic Frameless, standard, black, because if so, I will buy it?

N

I'm afraid you've confused me with mahjong. I love my framelesses

Sent from my Shearwater Petrel using Tapatalk

I might sell it now if you want to make me an offer I can't refuse.

But I would like to do another dive in this mask and see if I can get used to clearing without access to the nose pocket. As I said, I otherwise really like this mask, which is the only reason I am so frustrated--otherwise I would have already sold it. The field of vision is fantastic (but, honestly, it is also fantastic on the other two masks pictured, esp the Micromask on the right). Where Atomic beats the other two is on the crisp clarity of the lens--I think there is a noticeable difference in this regard. But you can easily see that there is an inviting nose pocket on the other two masks. In fact, on the Scubapro, the nose pocket is textured silicone, in anticipation of fingers. And on the Micromask the space is even larger than on the Scubapro. There is NO such space on the Atomic.

Again, if you can equalize then fine. Maybe I too can learn another way. One more dive in the mask, this time with the mask strap slightly tighter so that it doesn't leak every time I jam my fingers into my nostrils and squeeze.

If new and not used more than a couple of times, $75?

But, seriously give it more of a try. I think you are just not used to it yet. For one thing, I push up on the bottom (of all masks) not pinch the nose, to clear. But I am sitting here with it on right now pinching my nose, no problem, even with gloves. Sorry you are having a problem.

And if you still do not like it after several dives, I am still in the market as I am sure others as well.

N

Thanks, Nemrod. Literally one dive on the mask. Good as new. But, yes, I am going to give it a dive or two more. Overall I genuinely believe the mask is worth trying to learn to equalize in a new way. Or, as I said, I would have sold it already.

I've never noticed any unusual difficulty pinching the nose pocket, but I have small hands for a guy.

However, I have had issues with leakage. It fit great in the store, but in the water it leaked more than my inexpensive old Mares mask. I persevered because it's supposedly such a quality mask. With advice from SB, I have been able to reduce the leakage by (a) keeping the straps VERY loose, and (b) being conscious of keeping facial movements to a minimum. I still find myself clearing the mask several times on a dive.

I wonder if a Hollis M1 might be better for me? Seems like it gets similar rave reviews.

I've never noticed any unusual difficulty pinching the nose pocket, but I have small hands for a guy.

However, I have had issues with leakage. It fit great in the store, but in the water it leaked more than my inexpensive old Mares mask. I persevered because it's supposedly such a quality mask. With advice from SB, I have been able to reduce the leakage by (a) keeping the straps VERY loose, and (b) being conscious of keeping facial movements to a minimum. I still find myself clearing the mask several times on a dive.

I wonder if a Hollis M1 might be better for me? Seems like it gets similar rave reviews.

If you are wearing the standard sized Atomic then I'd definitely give the Hollis a go. Two of my friends own them and they too rave. I've tried one and although it seemed like it was going to be too big, I wear the Med atomic, I only did one dive wearing one but it didn't leak at all although trying on on dry land I thought it might.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom