7 divers missing off Indonesian island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any diver with an operating PLB would have been easy to find. Even if local SAR doesn't have a direct feed on the info, it would have been available in the system to relay.

It is unfortunate that most of the commenters here do not speak Japanese. There is a very good amount of better information in the Japanese press.

Here is the police report interview with a survivor. ??????????????????????????? ?????? - Yahoo!???? Try Google translate.

People may learn that some assumptions were wrong.

Thank you. Here is the Google translate of that page, to make it a little more accessible.
Perhaps you could help with a little editing for us?

[FONT=&amp]<Accident off the coast of Bali> weather sudden change, not reach horn ... Mr. Furukawa exchange of questions and answers

Mainichi 44 minutes Recent Tuesday 19 pm February 18
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
Morning February 16, 2014, Kenjiro Sato shot in diving point = Bali, Indonesia off the coast of Lembongan northern seven Japanese women went missing

&#12288;In diving accident off the coast of Bali, Indonesia, what Saori Furukawa instructors were rescued the first time in three days (37), responded to written interview with media outlets are as follows. [In the middle of a rescue] The Preface push big wave, not go up to two rocky&#12288;situation of diving drowning when the first of three one questions the day of the accident. Was not a problem with the physical condition weather, the members? &#12288;(Early afternoon on the 14th) answer diving at the start, (Strait) was not a problem both physical condition of all members, weather and sea conditions. Almost no wave, flow also drift dive of a gentle stream The average salmon as Nan point. The weather was calm. &#12288;2 History of distress at the time question. Diver side or lost sight of the confluence with the ship? Ship or did not come to the meeting point? If it is the former reason? Did you shed tide? Bad weather or cause? &#12288;Done in shallow water safety stop in answer all members, usually rise to the water surface in the salmon Nan point within. I is turned up and also (sign for the boat to pick up the divers) dive float to safety stopped. It seemed immediately after the weather of the sky was completely changed in that time, the waves stood in strong wind, visibility was getting worse by heavy rain. I sounded even whistle engine sound of the boat because I heard. I remember that the view is no longer hear quite temporarily in the wind and sudden rain anyway, but was not know the direction. &#12288;Please tell me how to spend drifting after the start sight of three boat question. What a conversation? Did you know the direction that have been swept away? Measures taken in order to preserve the physical strength? Were there to be seen, such as the ship of the search? &#12288;I tried to shelter in shallow side after a while the answer to the question, but also because the tide had changed completely, and threw away immediately or weight. I was out around round and round in the state out around like the current of the washing machine water immediately after, and keep in touch the (such waistcoat like a buoyancy regulator) BCD and tank hands and hardens all members, but missing from the rotation, It was also understand your current position and direction when visibility was bad in the rain has recovered a little.I knew roughly are here in the compass lights and island routes and aircraft terrain of Rebongan Bali and, after dark during the day, even while being washed away. I have tried to be or will swim when close to the island at times, tide Since the convoluted Island neighborhood, or quit difficult, and from moving to harden in all physical fitness sparing from the middle, tide to the island side If you get also a little I have also swim to the extent reasonable. Without people to panic, was make yourself very well everyone. I have you for your cooperation A great deal of intra-guest that was in the members, we are especially grateful. Guest team were all sent me relief in the signal light when there was a big ship in the distance at night. Also when the consciousness is about to jump, or each other cause members around is encouragement, while drinking coconut from has flowed, or holding hands together until the next morning, and or tied with a string of BCD, It was devised so as not to stray anyway. It was not met with the ship that it is possible to determine and search vessels in the vicinity. &#12288;When, where, four seven questions or broke up on what grounds? &#12288;Tugboat passing through the Nusa Penida south in the morning on the 15th answer was so close most ever, I wanted to close with a swim in order to obtain the relief in that case, but since there was also impossible to go at all, the I went close with a dash of as much as possible of the fin kick representative at the time. Float because there were two, one went to the direction of travel of the ship has, but the trend also not catch up there.Should be had to the original location is still together at that time all the members of the other, including Takahashi with a float of another. An attempt was made &#8203;&#8203;to return towards everyone, but it is not go back even if the kick when you kick for the direction of the trend is different in places where there were all the places where I had been, I have away more and more. &#12288;When five five questions (4 people), how rose to rocks?&#12288;It was lapped until it abandoned the tank first before evening of the 15th answer, from close to where it is part rocky cliffs of Nusa Penida to swim for hours, legs reach while aided by large wave of reef mid- . I threw away while BCD is also tossed big wave. and I have taken away with the waves when you take off even fin at the place where the big rock is rumbling. We wanted to ask the relief of everyone to go to where people live somehow, intense sea of tide and large waves, behind the cliff, motionless has become impossible to take even physically before the eye. &#12288;Time, Q6 Mr. Furukawa's broke up with the other members where, why not? &#12288;When the morning of the 15th the answer, I tried to find the relief to tug. The reason is as mentioned in 4. &#12288;To be found in 7 the 17th question, how spent in rocks? How outperformed the thirst and hunger? If there are measures taken in order to preserve the physical strength. Did not hold any conversation? &#12288;Since there was the thing to be able to drink still in the plastic bottle of garbage or pooled rainwater because there was a thunderstorm in answer evening, or sipping water droplets of dead leaves, was lapped, it was surpassed thirst in such things. Also because there was some Styrofoam in the trash, or wound them, and was incubated with or to avoid the rain in shady rock. &#12288;When, where, to whom how Q8 Mr. Furukawa what were rescued? State of mind at that time? &#12288;When it was next to the body to not move the answer beach, a member of the boat company and other companies dive shop you are always taken care of will find here, so invited me yelling at everyone from the boat, consciousness has returned clearly . In the great big wave, I was not a situation that can be a beyond the waves to swim very, but fellow local one person told me swam to shore it with a fin bravely first. Those who SAR have also put a lot toward this place connected by a string life jacket immediately. Relief supplies will be thrown from the helicopter, was in the mouth cookies and water, but not in a state where more than big wave can still physically, and gave me the landing and found a place somehow helicopter while turning several times after a while So I got on it. &#12288;After being rescued Question 9, state of mind when you reunited with and acquaintances? &#12288;It was desperate to get on the answer helicopter, I do not remember that a mental state basis much, but for the first time when you go back to land, I saw the tears of the people of living that are very indebted from the old days in Bali at the hospital I see the situation. Your mind of everyone, for your cooperation A great deal, I appreciate deeply enough to not say all expressed in words. &#12288;Search activities of the two questions remaining 10 have continued. Please tell us about the state of mind now. &#12288;I saw from the helicopter safety of 4 found the answer, but I heard the search during the two still. I did not get to sleep last night with worry worried. current situation can not then you will only be able to much talking in detail all long as you believe in the companion you have me to search and SAR, you know the change in the trend from the time, to move in search of direct themselves frustrated very thing which I myself can now is. I hope that everyone can be found as soon as possible. You can only pray now, but I hope.

[/FONT]

Am too tired to do corrections, but I think adding paragraphs makes it a tad easier to read. Keep in mind though, google translate from Japanese is not really that great, at least in my opinion (for example, as far as I know in Q1 it's not "drowning" but rather "entering (the) water").

Thank you. Here is the Google translate of that page, to make it a little more accessible.
Perhaps you could help with a little editing for us?

[FONT=&amp]<Accident off the coast of Bali> weather sudden change, not reach horn ... Mr. Furukawa exchange of questions and answers

Mainichi 44 minutes Recent Tuesday 19 pm February 18
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
Morning February 16, 2014, Kenjiro Sato shot in diving point = Bali, Indonesia off the coast of Lembongan northern seven Japanese women went missing

&#12288;In diving accident off the coast of Bali, Indonesia, what Saori Furukawa instructors were rescued the first time in three days (37), responded to written interview with media outlets are as follows. [In the middle of a rescue] The Preface push big wave, not go up to two rocky&#12288;

Q1: Situation of diving drowning when the three first of the day of the accident. Was not a problem with the physical condition weather, the members?

A: (Early afternoon on the 14th) Diving at the start, (Strait) was not a problem both physical condition of all members, weather and sea conditions. Almost no wave, flow also drift dive of a gentle stream The average salmon as Nan point. The weather was calm.

Q2: History of distress at the time. Diver side or lost sight of the confluence with the ship? Ship or did not come to the meeting point? If it is the former reason? Did you shed tide? Bad weather or cause?

A: Done in shallow water safety stop all members, usually rise to the water surface in the salmon Nan point within. I is turned up and also (sign for the boat to pick up the divers) dive float to safety stopped. It seemed immediately after the weather of the sky was completely changed in that time, the waves stood in strong wind, visibility was getting worse by heavy rain. I sounded even whistle engine sound of the boat because I heard. I remember that the view is no longer hear quite temporarily in the wind and sudden rain anyway, but was not know the direction.

Q3: Please tell me how to spend drifting after the start sight of boat. What a conversation? Did you know the direction that have been swept away? Measures taken in order to preserve the physical strength? Were there to be seen, such as the ship of the search?

A: I tried to shelter in shallow side after a while , but the trend also because he completely changed , it was soon abandoned even weight . I was out around round and round in the state out around like the current of the washing machine water immediately after , and keep in touch the (such waistcoat like a buoyancy regulator ) BCD and tank hands and hardens all members , but missing from the rotation , it was also understand your current position and direction when visibility was bad in the rain has recovered a little . I knew roughly are here in the compass lights and island routes and aircraft terrain of Rebongan Bali and , after dark during the day , even while being washed away . I have tried to be or will swim when close to the island at times , tide Since the convoluted Island neighborhood , or quit difficult, and from moving to harden in all physical fitness sparing from the middle , tide to the island side If you get also a little I have also swim to the extent reasonable . Without people to panic , was make yourself very well everyone . I have you for your cooperation A great deal of intra- guest that was in the members , we are especially grateful . Guest team were all sent me relief in the signal light when there was a big ship in the distance at night . Also when the consciousness is about to jump , or each other cause members around is encouragement , while drinking coconut from has flowed , or holding hands together until the next morning , and or tied with a string of BCD, it was devised so as not to stray anyway . It was not met with the ship that it is possible to determine and search vessels in the vicinity .

Q4: When, where, seven or broke up on what grounds?

A: Tugboat passing through the Nusa Penida south in the morning on the 15th because it was close most ever, I wanted to close with a swim in order to obtain the relief in that case, but since there was also impossible to go at all, that time in I went close with a dash of as much as possible of the fin kick representative. Float because there were two, one went to the direction of travel of the ship has, but the trend also not catch up there. Should be had to the original location is still together at that time all the members of the other, including Takahashi with a float of another. An attempt was made to return towards everyone, but it is not go back even if the kick when you kick for the direction of the trend is different in places where there were all the places where I had been, I have away more and more.

Q5: When five people (four), how rose to rocks?

A: It was lapped until it abandoned the tank first before evening of the 15th, and from close to where it is part rocky cliffs of Nusa Penida to swim for hours, legs reach while aided by large wave of reef middle. I threw away while BCD is also tossed big wave. And I have taken away with the waves when you take off even fin at the place where the big rock is rumbling. We wanted to ask the relief of everyone to go to where people live somehow, intense sea of tide and large waves, behind the cliff, motionless has become impossible to take even physically before the eye.

Q6: Time, Mr. Furukawa's broke up with the other members where, why not?

A: When the morning of the 15th, I tried to find the relief to tug. The reason is as mentioned in 4.

Q7: Until it is discovered in the 17th, how spent in the rocks? How outperformed the thirst and hunger? If there are measures taken in order to preserve the physical strength. Did not hold any conversation?

A: Since there was the thing to be able to drink still in the plastic bottle of garbage or pooled rainwater because there was a thunderstorm in the evening, or sipping water droplets of dead leaves, was lapped, it was surpassed thirst in such things. Also because there was some Styrofoam in the trash, or wound them, and was incubated with or to avoid the rain in shady rock.

Q8: When, where, to whom how Mr. Furukawa what were rescued? State of mind at that time?

A: When it was next to the body to not move on the beach, a member of the boat company and other companies dive shop you are always taken care of will find here, so invited me yelling at everyone from the boat, consciousness has returned clearly. In the great big wave, I was not a situation that can be a beyond the waves to swim very, but fellow local one person told me swam to shore it with a fin bravely first. Those who SAR have also put a lot toward this place connected by a string life jacket immediately. Relief supplies will be thrown from the helicopter, was in the mouth cookies and water, but not in a state where more than big wave can still physically, and gave me the landing and found a place somehow helicopter while turning several times after a while so I got on it.

Q9: After being rescued, state of mind when you reunited with and acquaintances?

A: It was desperate to get on the helicopter, I do not remember that a mental state basis too, but the situation for the first time when you go back to land, I saw the tears of the people of living that are very indebted from the old days in Bali at the hospital I could see. Your mind of everyone, for your cooperation A great deal, I appreciate deeply enough to not say all expressed in words.

Q10: Search activities of the two remaining has continued. Please tell us about the state of mind now.

A: I saw from the helicopter safety of 4 found, but I heard the search during the two still. I did not get to sleep last night with worry worried. Current situation that can not then you will only be able to much talking in detail all as long as you believe in the fellow that is willing to search or SAR, you know the change in the trend from that time, to move in search of direct himself a shame so that I myself can now is. I hope that everyone can be found as soon as possible. You can only pray now, but I hope.
[/FONT]

/edit: ran the original through google translate again but took out the words for Q and A out because google would try to integrate those into the sentences.

Am too tired to do corrections, but I think adding paragraphs makes it a tad easier to read. Keep in mind though, google translate from Japanese is not really that great, at least in my opinion (for example, as far as I know in Q1 it's not "drowning" but rather "entering (the) water").

/edit: ran the original through google translate again but took out the words for Q and A out because google would try to integrate those into the sentences.

Much appreciated, thanks. A little easier to get a sense of how tough it was and the instinct for survival. Drinking from coconuts and from garbage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is unfortunate that most of the commenters here do not speak Japanese. There is a very good amount of better information in the Japanese press.

Here is the police report interview with a survivor. ??????????????????????????? ?????? - Yahoo!???? Try Google translate.

People may learn that some assumptions were wrong.

Please can you point out which assumptions were wrong, for those of us not versed in.japanese. So we can learn by it. Most of our information have been from media or even first hand accounts ie putu

...And insensitive given someone had died, a group had gone through near death trauma due to a boat not being present at the dive exit... and the petty discussion of fin type needs to be brought up ?

The testament that 5 survived and lived to tell a tale, that they DID get to land, then to find get onto jagged slippery rocks amongst a steep hanging clifface with 3m swell and waves after being in strong surface currents then survive another 3 days with little water and no food...

This is a 'typical shoreline' of Nusa Penida that the survivors had to negotiate.

I posted one picture already, but here's another one of Nusa Penida shoreline, close to Manta Point. That's very rough place to get on land. Insanely difficult with 3m swell.

Step away from the bottle Ted. It's time for your sensitivity training class.

:mad:

...And insensitive given someone had died, a group had gone through near death trauma due to a boat not being present at the dive exit... and the petty discussion of fin type needs to be brought up ?
Emotions turn up on this forum due to the sensitive nature of the accidents, but they are actually discouraged - belonging more in the Passings Forum. This forum is for the discussion of the accidents and what can be learned for safer diving. Not until this thread did I learn to appreciate the three pairs of split fins I bought early in my diving might be failure points for me in such an indecent, so I'd have to say that part of the discussion is relevent.

The experience does sound horrible. I don't know how long I could have survived on rocks at the bottom of that cliff with 9 meter waves before giving up totally, but the five who made it onto the rocks must have encouraged each other to stay the good fight.

I am guessing from the reports of how this story played out, the sixth diver who tried to crawl out on the rocks but was lost there would maybe be the one found dead nearby, and the one not yet found was the one separated from the group during the dive itself - and could be far away from this area. I could have that wrong tho, as one new story said the deceased had been dead for days. How long were on the rocks, is it known?

[...]

I am guessing from the reports of how this story played out, the sixth diver who tried to crawl out on the rocks but was lost there would maybe be the one found dead nearby, and the one not yet found was the one separated from the group during the dive itself - and could be far away from this area. I could have that wrong tho, as one new story said the deceased had been dead for days. How long were on the rocks, is it known?

From reading the interview the seven were together for a while, until one left the group to try and reach a boat. I also read on one Japanese news page (Yomirui Online) that the group of six made it to the rocks and two divers got swept away by waves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom