Submersible Pressure Gauge (SPG)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a January 1960 issue of Skin Diver I found a full page ad for Sportsways Waterlung regulators. At the bottom of the ad was a drawing of an SPG. The text reads:

"For the first time the High Pressure Reading Gauge...A VITAL SAFETY FACTOR...becomes a useful and practical component. The Sea Vue Gauge can be purchased separately and installed in a few moment

No price is given, but the same ad indicates that it can be purchased along with the Waterlung Model B for $90. The Model B without the Sea-Vue gauge is listed at $65. The gauge face, not shown in the ad, is perpendicular to the hose, and clearly screws into a first stage port.

In the same issue a company called Mar-Mac has an ad for, among other things, a " Se Air Universal Lung Gauge". It does not look the same as the Sportsways Sea Vue, in that the gauge face (also not shown) on the Mar- Mac is parallel to the hose, and the other end of the hose is not threaded. How and where it attaches is unclear. A small circular contact point with an O ring is suggested by the drawing.

While looking through 10 Skin Diver magazines from that era I did not find any mention of these devices in any articles.

In a January 1960 issue of Skin Diver I found a full page ad for Sportsways Waterlung regulators. At the bottom of the ad was a drawing of an SPG. The text reads:

"For the first time the High Pressure Reading Gauge...A VITAL SAFETY FACTOR...becomes a useful and practical component. The Sea Vue Gauge can be purchased separately and installed in a few moment

No price is given, but the same ad indicates that it can be purchased along with the Waterlung Model B for $90. The Model B without the Sea-Vue gauge is listed at $65. The gauge face, not shown in the ad, is perpendicular to the hose, and clearly screws into a first stage port.

In the same issue a company called Mar-Mac has an ad for, among other things, a " Se Air Universal Lung Gauge". It does not look the same as the Sportsways Sea Vue, in that the gauge face (also not shown) on the Mar- Mac is parallel to the hose, and the other end of the hose is not threaded. How and where it attaches is unclear. A small circular contact point with an O ring is suggested by the drawing.

While looking through 10 Skin Diver magazines from that era I did not find any mention of these devices in any articles.

The $65 would be $160 today, that could explain why many of us younger diver of the era did not have them and few shops sold them even if they knew about them. Remarkable that I just bought a new, Made in Italy, B&G spg for under $50.

N

Scared silly

I suspected you would come up with an answer sooner or later..

I must apologize - I have been engaged in other activities and have been ignoring this thread therefore I was unaware that you had discovered the information on Mar Mac. We certainly owe Ron Mullins a big debt of gratitude for all his efforts in collecting and publishing all that information.

<< SoCal rumor is that he has split with wife and moved to Baja California and has abandoned collecting and publishing the diving history. What a darn shame...There is so much more to document >>

Apparently most on this thread have 1970, which is 44 years ago,as a base line for their awareness of diving. . 44 plus 20 equates to a general age grouping of around 60 to 65 plus years .

It can perhaps be assumed that many began in their late teens or early 20s and were on a very limited budget and purchased only what was necessary to safely enter the under water world conforming to the required standard of their individual diving communities.

The companies who marketed SPGs in and often before 1970 are as follows:

company~~model ~~name ~~price

Dacor ~~DPG Underwater Air pressure gauge $25.50

Healthways~~ 1620 Submersible air pressure gauge $29.50

Nemrod ~~ 99-6917 Pressure gauge $14.25

New England Divers~~ Hydro-gauge $28.50

SCUBA Pro~~ 130 Submersible SCUBA Pro air pressure gauge $30.00

Sportsways ~~1401 Sea view gauge $32.00
Sportsways ~~1401-M Sea view gauge with meter $37.00

Swimaster ~~ DS-108 UW pressure gauge $30.00

US Divers (Aqua Lung)~~ 7018 Sea dive gauge $28.50
US Divers (Aqua Lung)~~ 7018-25 Gauge adapter -$4.25 (aka pig tail)

White Stag ~~ 3480 Gas Gauge - not sold with out regulator

<< For those who question how I know this... I would suggest that you refer to my post in "Passing" for "Art Pender== King of sling" and/or the So Cal board about Harry Wham. Been there-done that>>

Now for part two and three of the development of the SPG..

Part two...some hints....a Frenchman - who developed and dove SCUBA several years before the God of Underwater. Was KIA defending his country in WW11

Part three..also a Frenchman..

Or ask a fuzzy faced Dive Master or a PADI instructor and be prepared for a fairy tale

SDM

I began diving in Germany (North Rhein Westfalia) in 1979 without an SPG. We had J-valves and a bailout bottle on our horsecollar bc's.

Apparently most on this thread have 1970, which is 44 years ago,as a base line for their awareness of diving. . 44 plus 20 equates to a general age grouping of around 60 to 65 plus years .

You would be correct. I have surmised that some years back. It is more than evident without an investigation of spg origins that the bulk of the diving population is hitting 50yo (and not many beyond 65 who are still active divers) and that the years around 1972 was a demarcation line in the beach sand. However it was not the spg that made diving possible for the masses, it was instead the BC. No longer did the diver need to be able to swim and the rest is history, a false idol. Since I came of age in the 70s (60yo) I do not know first hand much of what occurred on the other side of that line, just a bare glimpse and books.

N

Fernez-Le Prieur: first public demonstration Aug 6th 1926.The Commeinhes amphibious unit from the 30's also had a SPG. -Ryan

What's this guy lookin at?

188-large_yves.jpg
Ohgushi 1918

Fernez-Le Prieur: first public demonstration Aug 6th 1926.The Commeinhes amphibious unit from the 30's also had a SPG. -Ryan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally! give that masked man a cigar!

Commandant Yves Le Prieur! The commandant published a very interesting and all but forgotten and very rare book in 1956 "Premier de Plongee" (The first to dive.) And indeed he was the first to dive! If you don't have the book suggest you make an effort to find one -- $$$$

Also the Commandant was first to use a SPG as well as a flow meter, taught SCUBA classes, created one of the early powered spear guns, developed a "portable" underwater camera, hot water suit and was the first to use compressed air etc etc.

After a few years he discarded the Fernez mouth piece for one of his own design.

He was a diving companion of the American author Guy Gilpactric and is mentioned and pictured in his monumental book The Compleat Goggler

The Commeinhes GC series was developed and dove in the late 1940s - not 1930s.
The co-inventor Georges Commeinhes lost his life in 1944 or 1945 in Germany. His father the co inventor never followed through after WW11.

The GC 45 had an SPG, twin cylinder's, a back pack with 2 inch straps and a streamlined covering for the unit.

And we got the "Aqua Lung" based on a 90 year old design which was modified for the Gasogene..

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom