Moalboal Sardines: are they there or not!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Please fill me in on whether or not the sardines are still in Moalboal or at what time of year they are there.
If they are there during my trip (December) I CANNOT miss them but if they aren't I will skip Moalboal.
I've been hearing they are no longer there....(pouting)

THANK YOU!

Impossible question to answer!!!
Even without the sardines Moalboal is good enough for couple of days especially the Pescardo Island and the Sanctury. So don't write it off completely.
Cebu-Moalboal-Dumaguete(Apo Island, Dauin, Siquijor etc)-Bohol-Cebu make a very nice circuit with no backtracking whatsoever. How do you squeeze in Malapascua is another story.
Dec is peak season and you might need to book well in advance.

Centrals, your suggestions looks very similar to what I have planned so far, I wrote it in detail in my other post just now....fly to Cebu City/Malapascua/ferry to Dumaguete/Apo or transport to Moalboal then Dumaguete/Apo and back to Cebu and home. Thinking I might skip Oslob...

Impossible question to answer!!!
Even without the sardines Moalboal is good enough for couple of days especially the Pescardo Island and the Sanctury. So don't write it off completely.
Cebu-Moalboal-Dumaguete(Apo Island, Dauin, Siquijor etc)-Bohol-Cebu make a very nice circuit with no backtracking whatsoever. How do you squeeze in Malapascua is another story.
Dec is peak season and you might need to book well in advance.

Centrals, your suggestions looks very similar to what I have planned so far, I wrote it in detail in my other post just now....fly to Cebu City/Malapascua/ferry to Dumaguete/Apo or transport to Moalboal then Dumaguete/Apo and back to Cebu and home. Thinking I might skip Oslob...

A friend of mine who lives in Dumaguete said Apo is not as good as it used to be after the typhoon. I am not sure if that would have anything to do with your decision. But that is just his opinion.

I agree with Centrals that Moalboal is good enough even if there are no sardines at the time.

Just returned. Still there and quite amazing. A football field long mass that blocks the sun when you are under it. During safety stop, you just float among them and wonder why they haven't run into you yet. Agree with prior post, I'd pick east-south route around Pescador first, Sanctuary with amazing fans second, sardines third.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom