Big island ...suggestion needed for scuba and snorkeling.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys. To get my 6yo accustomed to snorkeling I'll start with kahalu park and snorkel with her in 5 ft.

Then will go to place of refuge. ...Then others.

Do I have to worry about rip currents Or jelly fish etc? !

Oh I just booked Sheraton in kona. .. That's where we'll be staying woo hoo. Got for $120 a day in priceline.

Shall I go with Jack's or kona diving co. What's better for scuba diving?

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Kris,
Please tell us (me) how your trip goes! My daughters and I are also traveling from SE PA to Hawaii but not until late May. I would love to hear any recommendations you could make for the Big Island. We have already booked a helicopter ride, the Jack's Manta dive, and a long zip line tour, and we plan on doing Volcano Natl Park but we have time to add a few more things if you do something that you think shouldn't be missed. Thanks in advance!

Check out Pacific Rim Divers. Patrice is the best! Small group, great atmosphere, and killer brownies! It's like diving with family.

Check out Pacific Rim Divers. Patrice is the best! Small group, great atmosphere, and killer brownies! It's like diving with family.

Still wondering who's best for the manta dive. .... Jack's, kona, or this Pacific rim?

Basically someone I can rent Bcd n reg from and dive really safe. They should care for me under water. !

Still wondering who's best for the manta dive. .... Jack's, kona, or this Pacific rim?

Basically someone I can rent Bcd n reg from and dive really safe. They should care for me under water. !

It won't really make any difference. They ALL go to the same place at the same time and conduct the dive the same. (That's NOT a knock on them. The whole point is to have a whole bunch of divers with a whole bunch of light at the same place and same time to attract the plankton, which attracts the mantas.)

Was in Kona Feb. 2013. Good choice on staying there. The Hilo side is the rainy side and water is rougher. Recommend doing a helicopter ride and seeing Volcano National Park.

Did all of our dives with Jack's Diving Locker.

Liked the following about Jack's:
1. I could meet at the shop and be driven to boat and back or meet at the marina where their boat leaves from (about a 10 minute drive.) Had my wife drop me off several times as we then ate at a restaurant there. Driving is pretty easy once you know the lay of the land.

2. Also liked their store/shop which has a pool where you can try out new equipment.

3. Large staff, all friendly and helpful. Take care of your equipment. Big boats.

4. They do the night Manta Dive/Snorkel. Did the snorkeling and had a blast.

5. Boat captain will follow whales if he sees them during your surface time.

The neatest thing I saw while diving was when 100+ spinner dolphins swam by. Got great pictures and video.

Hope you have a great trip.

Jon

Great. For manta does it make a huge difference diving vs snorkeling? Wonder if I can save diving for daytime. What else can I see during that specific manta night dive?

Great. For manta does it make a huge difference diving vs snorkeling? Wonder if I can save diving for daytime. What else can I see during that specific manta night dive?

I wouldn't think that it'd be as good to be "just" a snorkeler. Besides, you'd miss Frank, the badass green moray eel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd recommend scuba unless you wish to remain on the surface with your non-diver family members. I'd will be impressive as a snorkeler, but AWESOME as a scuba diver.

Really, this dive is just about seeing mantas. You will remain in one very specific spot (divers and snorkelers alike) along with divers from all the other dive boats in order to "concentrate" the lights and attract the mantas. It is not a typical night dive in which you may be taking a nighttime tour of the reef; you are kneeling on the bottom or floating on the surface.

Have fun!

Manta rays in Kona, Hawaii - YouTube

Hope the link works. It is a video I took in Kona of the manta rays. Although I snorkeled this activity because of people in our group who were not divers, I am glad I did. If with family, I wouldn't separate just so I could say I did the dive. Talked to several people who had done both ways and the difference, as I took it, is that you are either going to see the mantas swim up or swim down. Awesome either way! They will often rub against you on the surface. They get that close. I also didn't want to spend extra money to scuba and basically stay in one place. Some places may tell you that you can swim around on the bottom, but there are so many groups from different outfits all in the same place that I just couldn't see it. Would have feared that I wouldn't find MY group.

Hope this helps a little.

Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom