Dive Master in training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Davey Diverson once bubbled...

You were abundantly clear. You said

"If my students are crashing the bottom in the pool they don't go to OW. If they can't do simple skills off the bottom they don't go to OW."

And he said:
"It took me about 40 dives just be to "decent" at buoyancy control."

Seems clear to me, unless you meant something else.

Well it doesn't take my students 40 dives to get good enough to avoid silting. I would think he would have enjoyed his OW dives much more and got more out of them.
I'm not advocating anything. I want to know how this guy feels about your stated passing requirements.

They're not my passing requirements. It's all in the training standards not to mention common sense.
Well, here is where we disagree. BC is a skill, and it's mastered through practice, not instruction. Some folks nail it right away, others take 40 dives or so. In fact, my experience is that the latter, to some degree or another, is the norm.

It's like saying you can teach someone to hit a major league fastball. You might be able to teach swing, grip, and stance, but getting wood on Randy Johnson takes time.

Since you're convinced that OW classes will destroy the vis, I'm not sure you really know what it takes to learn buoyancy control. You're right, it does take practice. We practice before we go to OW. It may not require instruction as few things do but it sure shortens the learning curve. I prove it with every class I teach.

To use your baseball analogy, most classes apparantly aren't teaching the swing, grip and stance. Some of us do and with a few hours practice students are good enough to avoid silting out the dive site.

OK! I started this thread with a question about what to expect during DM training, and have watched it turn into a debate with no hint of the original subject in mind. Everyone finned over to left field and got off the subject, so I (DM candidate) will reel you all in!
BC is important. Nuff said! To take it a step further, ALL the skills are important! THATS what keeps people safe. Today I am going diving and realized that many of the skills I had to perform in OW have been put out of mind. I can't remember the last time I took off my mask and replaced it. Today, July 20 2003, I will practice that and many other skills that I have not done for a while. I find it surprising that no one replied with this suggestion, and instead concentrated on "left field".
To all who have posted, read the first post(mine) and the last post, and any others in between that you care to. Were you focusing on the task at hand? I think not. Something I would not expect from an instuctor/DM/experienced diver. Hopefully, I will have someone around me who is bold enough to tell me when I make this mistake. You all can rest assured that you do. ME!
Read post #1. Stop! Think. Act. Yes, it's just that easy.

I guess this would make me an "active DM" vs a "passive DM". I started my training for me, but my instructor made it quite clear, long before, that he wanted me to become a DM. He knows I don't sit back, but instead join in. Seems to me that a DM has to be invovled to be any kind of help to anyone. I could be wrong. Hummm............nope, I'm right!

Jetwrench
P.S. Hey to the guy from Delta in FL. I'm lead mech. for COEX in VT

Fellow jetmechs rise up and be heard!!! :teach:

Scott

Jetwrench,

The thread may have gone off your intended topic but if you pay attention I think you'll learn something about many of the issues you'll face as a divemaster or instructor.

It's an easy matter to find out exactly what to expect from DM training. It's all in black and white in the standards and any instructor can give you every little detail.

What that won't tell you though is that after your training and getting activated by PADI? (or whatever agency) you still might need further training before assisting some shops or instructors. I've found for instance that I can't take a DM or instructor off the street because so many haven't learned to dive well yet. They insist on demonstrating skills while sitting on the bottom. They dive overweighted while with students, have poor trim and raise silt wherever they dive.

The way dive training is conducted will have a big impact on you as a DM especially a new one.

This thread should have given you many ideas about what questions to ask a prospective instructor when deciding where to take your training. Some of the same questions might be posed to a shop or instructor before you work with them.

I sure wish I had read a thread like this before my DM or instructor training or for that matter before my first year of teaching.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

A little change in priorities and some emphisis on DIVING and the rest is easy. BTW, diving is 98 percent swimming, stopping and turning while neutral. This is diving, IMO. If a diver gets a card without learning this they simply weren't tought to dive. How much time did you spend in your class practicing this?

Mike (or anyone),

My buddy is a little worried about her buoyancy so we often practice at the pool. I think she is pretty good at it, but she still think she is doing badly.

What do you actually practice?

Cheers
Nick

I wanted to resurrect this thread as it has some excellent advice that I have found 100% accurate over the years since I started it. Although (for several reasons) I did not complete my DM training, I have had many situations over the years since then where I felt like I was playing a role of DM. The input/advice many members offered here stuck with me and I think it can help anyone be a better, more attentive diver/buddy.

A deliberate resurrection? What?!? Interesting thread.

A deliberate resurrection? What?!? Interesting thread.

No kidding. Thread started over 10 years ago and I see they jumped right onto buoyancy/trim/propulsion and students kneeling on the bottom. Some things never change.

1. Hang all over the good lookin woman in the class while ignoring everyone else. Now I was single at the time as well and while some of the oppertunities look very interesting you must remember to maintain a professional relationship with ALL of the students during the class. After the class is over you can do what you like.

The shop I've DM'd at told us at the en of our DMT time 'If we see you hitting on students during courses you get one warning then you're not welcome back. By the way, this is that warning.'

excellent rule I think. when I go to a resort there's always one creepy DM/OWSI hanging around :shakehead:

No kidding, a 10 year old thread. My how time has flown. Jetwrench, you still turning wrenches?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom