What to do with Nikonos cameras and lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
As a long-time diver and UW photographer, I have quite a collection of Nikonos cameras (II, III's, V's), flash/strobes, assortment of lenses (28mm, 35 mm, 15 mm). I even have a flash-bulb arm before UW strobes were invented. Several years ago I joined the digital age and now it is time to clean out the old collection. Does anyone know what to do with these still functional items? I can throw them out but hate to trash history. Your input will help. Thank you.

There does seem to be a market for old Nikonos gear on eBay. Some of the stuff I've seen listed there seems to be pretty pricey.

I've got a II and III that I've been tempted to sell on eBay, but there are some great memories in those old cameras. I just keep them on a shelf with some sea shells.

-AZTinman

There does seem to be a market for old Nikonos gear on eBay. Some of the stuff I've seen listed there seems to be pretty pricey.

I've got a II and III that I've been tempted to sell on eBay, but there are some great memories in those old cameras. I just keep them on a shelf with some sea shells.

-AZTinman

I have complete Nikonos equipment with IIIs and RS bodies and lenses. Personally, I would recommend keeping at least the Nikonos III bodies and 15mm and 20mm lenses. Also at least 1 28mm and 1 35mm for extension tube use. This all on the premise that you can find film processing which I still can get here in the Greater Toronto Area. I keep them because as convenient as digital systems are, it's always nice to have backups. Plus, when I shoot digital I am limited to one housing for my D800. That means I'm either shooting wide angle or macro. Keep a Nikonos body with you that compliments your digital goals for that dive. If shooting macro digitally, keep a Nikonos with a 15mm with you. My systems are all interchangeable in that I can shoot both digitally and film with underwater detachable/interchangeable strobes - SB-105 with the optical detachable sync cord.
In addition, there is a gentleman in Croatia who has designed adaptors for Nikonos RS lenses to digital camera housings, especially for the Nauticam. You send him the lens like a 13mm or 50mm micro and he adjusts them to give full functionality on the Nikon bayonet mount of a D series digital Nikon.
Abelic html5
There still is nothing underwater ,corner to corner sharper than U/W Nikkor optics and he has them wet to the water but properly sealed on the housing. Try attaching an RS lens to your Nikon digital camera and you'll see that it does attach but doesn't give exposure or AF control. That's what he does. He adapts the lenses to function.
Lastly, Nauticam makes adaptors for the 20mm lens to attach to a Sony digital camera. No AF of course but it still puts these lenses and they're incredible underwater optics for use digitally.
So keep some of the equipment because it may become very scarce if the adaptations become more readily available.

I took scuba for PE as a freshman in college -- fall of 1966. My mother took a trip to Asia the following summer can came home with this brand new camera, the Nikonos and I still have it, although the flash arm seems to have disappeared in one of my many moves.

Does anyone service them anymore?

I traded emails with Southern Nikonos a while ago, he said he had parts but eventually turned me down saying he couldn't do the work anymore.

Nikon told me they could service them...sort of...it was a very qualified yes that made me fear I could send the cameras in and never get them back again.

The lenses are still worth something and you can put them directly on a Nauticam/Nex housing but you do get the crop factor so the 15 is more like 22 mm, but still a great fish portrait lens. The bodies are not worth very much (the RS may be a different story).
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom