Bought two AL80 tanks filled with 34% Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please explain to me how an instructor who signs an agreement about safe diving practices and is concerned about morals and ethics can write the following in the same post:

I'm glad I don't share your ethics. It is YOU that people should be concerned about diving with. I wonder how many other people don't meet the Lapenta standard and should be allowed to die. Minorities? Democrats?

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually those are the first people I'd likely save. But not if they are using practices I consider to be unsafe. Because if they are doing that I won't be anywhere in the water near them. I'd get off the boat before it even left or in my car headed home. After telling them and anyone else close by why. Then they can decide if it's worth the risk.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I do not recommend it be dumped and filled with fresh gas. Never said that. The tank is out of hydro and vis. You dump the gas, get it hydro'd, vis'd, and then once passed refilled and used. You all do what you want. Just don't ever expect me to dive with anyone that would follow your advice or pull their butt out of the water should something happen. Recommending he analyze and use is not only stupid but would violate the agreement I sign every year as an instructor regarding safe diving practices. Not to mention my own morals and ethics when it comes to those practices. I bought four al 80 a couple years ago from people I not only knew but trained who getting out of diving. I knew who filled them and when. They were all full of nitrox compatible air. But the vis had just expired. I took them down to the shop, dumped them, did the vis, and then used them. I practice what I preach and do that to set an example for my students. Did I need to do that from a practical standpoint? No. I did need to do it from an ethical one.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Why would you not want them to dive with the tank? Is it because it is out of hydro and vis or because you dont trust the gas?

couple of points:

1. the individual is not trained in EANx use.
2. Unknown what the gas may be as it is "take my word".
3. Unknown source of the gas

#2 & #3 mean test as a minimum, but as the individual is not trained in EANx, I'd go out on a limb saying he shouldn't use it, hence dump it. Since he is dumping it, it is time to get a hydro (required as it is beyond its 5 year certification period, and thus cannot be filled until re-certified), and will also be due for a visual....

After reviewing the cost and other hassles and split of opinion on what should be done nefore use, I intend to stick with my habit of buying new, and knowing the history and maintenance and performance of my own gear. Including my one tank.
DivemasterDennis

I'll be surprised if anyone in north Florida will fill them. The majority of shops won't fill any aluminum cylinder that was manufactured prior to 1988 regardless of who made them. My advice. Dump the gas, take the valves off and drill holes in the side. Use them as wheel chocks. I'm one of the few that had a Luxfer aluminum cylinder explode while getting filled in 2004. Killed the girl filling it for me. Cylinder had current hydro and VIP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll be surprised if anyone in north Florida will fill them. The majority of shops won't fill any aluminum cylinder that was manufactured prior to 1988 regardless of who made them. My advice. Dump the gas, take the valves off and drill holes in the side. Use them as wheel chocks. I'm one of the few that had a Luxfer aluminum cylinder explode while getting filled in 2004. Killed the girl filling it for me. Cylinder had current hydro and VIP.

You must not have read the original post. One cylinder was dated 1984---that went to a salvage yard and I got $20 for it. The other two cylinders are dated 1999 but were last hydroed in 2007 so they were out of hydro. They are getting hydroed and filled.

BK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom