What to expect from RX100 ii with minimal extra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there.

I'm looking to purchase a RX100 ii with a Ikelite housing (not springing for the higher grade ones just yet) and don't know what to expect from having just bits of kit. Will the photos be totally crap without a macro wet lens or a strobe? I am interested in mainly macro stills, but who knows, things can change.

I am still new to diving and don't want to overcomplicate matters by having tons of gear on me. A camera hanging from my wrist is probably the most I can handle at the mo'.

I am potentially heading to the Philippines in May/June and hope to sort this out by then.

Does anyone have any photos they have shot with a minimal setup?

Thanks.
Claudia

I have done the Philippines with just camera and a focus light as i forgot the strobe arms at home. It was an old canon 570 with diffuser. The rx100 will struggle to focus without help a focus light would be useful however the ikelite housing doesn't have a cold shoe so you are a bit limited. If you want to go with just camera and housing I recommend you go for a panasonic lx7 or a canon s120 both focus at 1cm and can be zoomed to 50mm at 5cm from the subject

I thought you could use strobes with the Ikelite?

I thought you could use strobes with the Ikelite?

Cold shoe is for a focus light small arm to go directly on the housing

Strobes go on a tray I suppose you won't have one

Clearly I have no idea what I am talking about. I think I better start over from the beginning and figure out what I should be reading.

I've just bought the Martin Edge book, and will get through that before making any further decisions!

C

Clearly I have no idea what I am talking about. I think I better start over from the beginning and figure out what I should be reading.

I've just bought the Martin Edge book, and will get through that before making any further decisions!

C

We have all been there

This is the Philippine set when I forgot the strobe arms Best of Philippines 2011-12 - a set on Flickr

I have done the Philippines with just camera and a focus light as i forgot the strobe arms at home. It was an old canon 570 with diffuser. The rx100 will struggle to focus without help a focus light would be useful however the ikelite housing doesn't have a cold shoe so you are a bit limited. If you want to go with just camera and housing I recommend you go for a panasonic lx7 or a canon s120 both focus at 1cm and can be zoomed to 50mm at 5cm from the subject
I shoot mostly video. Will the Ikelite housing work for this with the RX100ii?

All housings will work. It's just a matter of ergonomics with the recsea and nauticam being metal and smaller
Thanks for the answer, but I think I asked it poorly. Specifically am I giving up any access to features with the ikelite vs the recsea or nauticam. Also, I believe I read on one of your posts that you use a UW filter for video with the Sony R100ii. Does this work with the ikelite (enough room etc).

The Ikelite housing is clumsy and more difficult to operate, there are some posts here of a few people that started with one and ended up buying something else out of desperation. Still for video where you use less control it will work just fine. The filter depends on the lens you use, for the ikelite you can get an Inon UWL-H100 type 1 (gets closer to the glass) and use the same filter I use
I believe also the epoque DCL30 can be used but I do knot know about filters for it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom