Need help fixing dumb move (regulators)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trawkins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I'm a longtime lurker, but I couldn't find a post on the topic I need help with so I'm posting it now.

First off, I can't believe I made such a dumb mistake (being a relatively experienced diver). I was doing hose swaps between pony reg and main and moving over octos etc.. Due to a combination of exhaustion and carelessness, I went to test for leaks by putting the yoke on the cylinder and pressurizing it. However, I grabbed my pony first stage, which literally only has an spg on right now. So my reg is pressurized with no way to purge and release it.

So I ask for some advice over the ridicule that I am certainly due. What do I do now?

Dbel4hGl.jpg

Attachments

• Dbel4hGl.jpg
    Dbel4hGl.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 11
Don't feel bad. Just a little chuckle. Goodness, I will fully admit to seeing myself doing that :)

I am sure folks who really know what to do will chime in.

I wonder if carefully backing off one of the plugs on a low-pressure port, enough to bleed past the o-ring but still holding on with the threads, would be the solution. I look forward to finding out the solution.

Bill

Been there done that :D

Just very slowly/carefully unscrew one of the other plugs and bleed it.

DOH!!
Turn off the tank valve.
slowly, very carefully, just barely crack a LP port with an allen/ hex key and let it bleed off.
hopefully it will release the gas.

Chug
Dorks walk among us......and I am usually the leader.

Ha, ha...too funny. We all post at the same time. Looks like the LP port is the solution.

Slowly unscrew the PG hose from the reg......the o ring will extrude with a bit of a pop and will safely depressurize the system.

Plenty of quick advice here.

Make sure the tank valve is off, then slowly back off on the yoke screw. Check the o-ring when you are done.

It isn't like I haven't pulled a few good ones.

Bob
----------------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape.

I wonder if carefully backing off one of the plugs on a low-pressure port, enough to bleed past the o-ring but still holding on with the threads, would be the solution.

I thought of this, but the actual pressure in the reg does most of the work sealing the ports. My main concerns are that I will either strip the plug, or backing it out to the point that the seal is broken will create a very nasty projectile situation in my bedroom.

I've never made this mistake more than once on the same day. :D :D :D Good suggestions all around. Turn off the tank, and when you're backing out the port plug, DON'T STAND IN IT"S PROBABLE PATH. We think we know where it might go off to, but one can never be totally sure. The slower the bleed off the safer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom