Diva Cup or other recommendation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found the diva cup to be extremely uncomfortable when I tried it (not while diving). I move my period around by skipping the placebo pills in my pill packs. It's the most convenient way to deal with the problem. In fact, sometimes I skip them just because it's easier to not have a period. Obviously this won't work if you're not on birth control pills.

OK, I just want to say that this seems like a grand idea, however, using any type of prescription in any way other than the way it was intended can be very hazardous to your health. Please don't recommend it to others. I am in the medical profession. I am not trying to slam anyone, but without consulting your OB about this practice it can increase your health risks. :)

I have used the cups before and I liked them better for flow control.

My OB recommended it. There are pill packs without the placebo pills, but they are no different than the ones with.

Also, in many countries you do not need to see a doctor to get birth control pills. I think the US should switch to this model -- perhaps consult with a pharmacist first if you want to, but patients can do their own research to choose a pill. They have been in use for so long and the risks are known. I don't see why I should have to have a stranger go spelunking in my crotch in order to get birth control pills.

OK, I just want to say that this seems like a grand idea, however, using any type of prescription in any way other than the way it was intended can be very hazardous to your health. Please don't recommend it to others. I am in the medical profession. I am not trying to slam anyone, but without consulting your OB about this practice it can increase your health risks. :)

Taking OCP's back to back/skipping the placebo occasionally is SOP by now with the combined monophasics. It doesn't work well with tricyclics or minipills, but the point of the placebo was to mimic a natural period in order to make the pill more acceptable when it first came out. Heck, you can go to the UK's NHS site and it says right there "yup, go right ahead" (paraphrased).

There is still disagreement in the OB field about continuous use (vs occasional period-skipping), but there is no evidence that it causes medical problems, except for not working and causing break-through bleeds/spotting.

Late to the party, but I find the Lunette to be the most comfortable of the ones I've tried. Diva Cup always leaked a little for me, Lunette doesn't. It might be a personal anatomy thing, though.

A vote for MeLuna. I went through 3 different cups before I found the one that best suited me - fit/elasticity. One of the reasons that I like the MeLuna is that they have a big range of options.There are some great websites out there with comparisons on the options eg https://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/category/comparisons

Don't give up on it because the first one you try doesn't work well - when you find the one that is for you it will make that one week a month so much easier to deal with - especially if you are away diving!

I use the Diva cup myself (under 30 pre-childbirth, even though I'm over 30). I cut the little handle thingy off as it was too long....

If you've never used a cup before I would suggest picking one and starting now, as there is a small learning curve to it. The first few months I had minor leaks, and it took FOREVER to get the damn thing in. Now that I've gotten the hang of it though, it's all I'll ever use! I just wash it in the morning when I get up, and at night before I go to bed. A game changer for sure!

I'm using a Mooncup for 3 years now... Very happy with it, diving or not (I'm a diving instructor, so I dive a lot, wether or not it's "that time of the month" ;-) )
Never had an issue with it while diving... I can have a quite heavy flow also...

It takes a while to get used to, and to make it work properly (remember, as a teenager, the first time you tryied pads or tampons... I'm sure I was not the only one to experience a few disasters ^_^ IMO, with a cup, it's the same thing, you are learning again for a while ^_^ )

It shouldn't be painful or incomfortable... Like a tampon, if placed correctly, you shouldn't feel it at all (except for the handle: some might need to cut it, some not, some half of it... Again, if cutting it is needed - I cut half of it - when placed correctly, you shouldn't feel the cup or the handle at all.)

Make sure you take the right size, as even the small size can seem quite big when you look at it for the first time...

Being in a remote location, I don't have the headache anymore to travel with a huge stach of tampon (can't find them easily in some part of the world) or to worry where and when will I possibly be able to find some, AND I don't have to produce huge amount of garbage every year anymore too!

I used the pills for delaying the period for a week (forgot the name) on my diving trip and had no problems. Its a scary thing to use those cup thingies for me as i have no experience in using them and don't want to risk pain or getting bloated or having cramps while diving

I really don't see how using a menstrual cup would make someone bloated or having cramps...

As I said before, it can take a while to get used to it, but nothing that much different than when I learned as a teenager to use pads and/or tampons. I had (like all of us I believe) a few accident before I got it right :wink: and it was the same with the cup...
I'm really a big big fan of the cup. I find it really comfortable and, producing less waste in general is something really important for me.

If someone wish to try it, I'd recommend to use it for more "delicate" time (such as a diving trip) only when the person is used to it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom