Favorite Southeastern Idaho Dive Spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Boling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here are some of my favorite local dives of Southeastern Idaho. The area I am looking at would be Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Idaho.
Do you have any to add to this list?

1. Snake River - This has to be listed first since its right in front of the shop and runs directly thru Idaho Falls. This river offers many things to see and many under water challenges for every level of diver. It is also one of my local favorites.

2. Teton River - Beautiful with majestic views. Once Again, many under water challenges for every level of diver. I specifically like diving the local old bridges the college kids jump off. Treasure of all sorts seems to collect in these holes.

3. Ririe Lake – It is close and local to Idaho Falls. If you want to work on your skills, try a different skill (Deep Water, Photography, Night Diving, Dry Suit, Etc.) The Dam area provides a great place. You can also dive as deep as 30' before you hit the first thermocline. Finding treasure from the local cliff jumpers is always a plus.

4. Palisades Lake - I haven't seen much specifically here. It's silty bottom didn't lend itself to a clean clear dive. When I dive this lake I like to dive it when it's low. I also like finding and diving around old structures left before the lake was made. I feel this lake has allot more to give up.

5. Yellowstone Lake – It is a crystal clear and beautiful Location. With pristine views and super clean clear lake what more could you ask for from a mountain lake. It's cold and I recommend a dry suit, although I have gone with friends who dove it in a 7mm wet suit and they did OK. Cold afterwards but they had a great time nonetheless.

6. Yellowstone Firehole - This is a unique swift current dive. Has one told me once, "It's underwater rock climbing." I love this because you obviously find treasure. The location is beautiful and the water is warm. I have seen people find expensive cool stuff and I have dove it and didn't find anything.

7. Henry's Lake - A lake similar to Ririe in the way that it's a good place to work on skills and get wet to log a dive.

8. Wade Lake - Crystal clear water, similar to Yellowstone Lake and it's cold. The fish are fun to see because there really are some good size trout.

9. Bear Lake – This is a clear and cold dive, but a fun dive. This lake has so much to offer that I can't even touch the surface. The water is gorgeous. Rumor has it this lake has caves. I am still investigating this. Let me just say with good authority, "It wouldn't surprise me."

Ok-A-beh marina in big horn canyon/yellowtail recreation area. Best water I've seen consistently in Montana. Cliff walls and very deep. A bit of a drive from pretty much everywhere but I've had as much as 80+' viz. And it gets warm!

Great write ups.
Add Salmon River. Deep holes near end of summer reveals lost rafter items.
Add Meadow Lake. High altitude, great camp sites, and deep end is cold with fair visibility.
Add Henry River. North fork of Snake. Good for drifting and plenty of fishing gear.

Back
Top Bottom