SMS100 / Nomad XT / or wait SMS75

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got the SMS100 after 6 years of BM caving. I agree that the SM units seem to get bulkier and bulkier. I won mine and was able to pick the Hollis SMS100 or the DR Nomad XT. After reviewing and interviewing my buddies, I came to the conclusion there was minor difference and picked the Hollis due to the 360 wing which is what I have been diving.

I can't see warm water travel with the SMS100. Heck, I started with a SP Knighthawk and it's not as bulky. I'm not sure I couldn't have adapted it to SM ;-) When I first started paying attention to SM, it seemed very clean. When I started looking at all the recent options, I thought, "What the heck has happened here?"

Note, I just trained on SM this Feb and have the Edd options done at Edd's. So, I am no expert (yet;-)

Don't know if anyone said this already but the Armadillo is a really awesome system. Can be used for a single backmount, single sidemount and sidemount and CCR. 35lbs of lift should be plenty for alot of people. and it's very streamlined.

---------- Post added January 21st, 2014 at 08:35 AM ----------

gearhound - a lot of good things about these boards but this is the bad part of these boards. you think your narrowing in on something then someone recommends something else to look at, and your back to square one deliberating... LOL. so i haven't even heard of Razor or Stealth before. SMS100 is popular all over the place so I just immediately focused there. Seems as if a large percentage of people were buying it must be good. I just hopped on website for the Stealth II and it looks pretty intriguing. I presume it also does single tank back mount as well. can you, or anyone else, give me some high level comparisons and differences between the Stealth type of rig and the SMS100 and Nomad which are more bulkier versions. I agree with you that I've always been hesitant on the SM rigs b/c they seem bulky ( i guess you need that when diving 2+ steel tanks in cold water, drysuit, etc.) 90% of my diving is open water, tropical water, typically off tour boats with Aluminums. Even if I did buy steels some day, i wouldn't be transporting them with me to my diving vacations. So is this Stealth more better for me.. Which is better Stealth or Razor.. Might has well through UTD in there I guess. is there a ranking of which ones are more functional, versatile, or "better" in a sense.

Well, I'll try to answer this without going into a rant.

The SMS100 is popular because they have a distribution network, not because it's a good rig. If it was, then more people would have bought the Oxycheq Recon, whose design Hollis copied. It needs modifications, and the SMS75 is an attempt to address that.

People will rave about whatever they bought or whatever they sell. They don't want to look like idiots. I'm trying to give you an objective answer. According to your criteria, the Stealth will suit you the best. Single tank side mount with the possibility of moving up into tec. With the loop bungees, it will be easy to carry one tank without adjustments. It will be easy to adjust weights. It packs up nice for travelling. The Razor is the other option. These two rigs were designed by people that actually side mount in passages where side mount is needed. They know what works and what doesn't. The Nomad is another rig designed by someone that does actual side mount diving and has probably explored countless miles of passages. The Armadillo also fits into this category. All the rest are posers.

And with apologies to Seba, I would not recommend the UTD system. We've gone through 2 z-trim wings due to leakage from the seams. And, for me, the manifold system is an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Also, with the way they are designed, the Stealth and the Razor will put the lift in the small of your back when you are horizontal, making it easy to keep your trim. All the others will put the air into the shoulder area first before migrating it down lower. Simple physics. When trying to stay afloat at the surface, the Stealth will put all the lift below the waterline, as opposed to the SMS100 which will always fill the shoulders first, which are above the waterline. These are some of the subtle design features that people ignore or don't know about, but make a difference, especially if you're diving somewhere tight.

Anyway, here is a video of Steve Martin side mounting with a single AL80. He's in a Razor here, but is diving a Stealth in his more recent videos. And no, neither rig can back mount a single…but once you make the switch, why would you want to? You've got a jacket bcd for when you have to.

Can you Side Mount Dive with a Single Cylinder..? - YouTube

a 100 lbs of lift ? what are gonna be lifting ? a boat ?
We managed to settle through the experience that 50-60 lbs would be more than enough lift for a average tech diver with heaviest steel 130's, few stages and scooters and here we need a 100 ?

Amongst all of the things I disagree with you about, this is the one that is pure fact. The Hollis SMS100 provides 52 pounds of lift. NOT 100. 52# is on the low end of the range you quoted.

As for the bulk of the SMS100....I've flown with mine multiple times. No issues. I wouldn't mind a smaller rig, but I've got my SMS100 set up just right, there's no need to buy another rig. I just can't justify the expense.

As for the quality of the SMS100: Stock, it's pretty atrocious. Once you get it set up and modded (Edd's mods) it's a dream to dive.

Or you can just buy the rig that ed's mods are based off of, Like a dillo.

Love my UTD Z-System. I can dive one tank, or two, or even surface supplied air without changing a thing about the harness, BCD or second stage configuration. Plug in whatever air source(s) you want, and off you go.

Stage and deco bottles work the same as this: all each of them needs is a first stage with a QC-6 to plug in to the Z. You keep breathing the same necklace and donateable long hose the entire dive. No switching between all those second stages.

QC-6 FTW!

sidemount as its meant to be ... simple than better
no mod's other then your personal touch needed !

1544974_462674127167911_599359619_n.jpg9906_10201981820087635_257383645_n.jpg1277842_658526060838175_2075239800_o.jpg1403374_10202362709377273_495773137_o.jpg

single tank example ...

1385075_10201315090172585_1072709426_n.jpg

Love my UTD Z-System. I can dive one tank, or two, or even surface supplied air without changing a thing about the harness, BCD or second stage configuration. Plug in whatever air source(s) you want, and off you go.

Stage and deco bottles work the same as this: all each of them needs is a first stage with a QC-6 to plug in to the Z. You keep breathing the same necklace and donateable long hose the entire dive. No switching between all those second stages.

QC-6 FTW!

there some very good values in it (manifold) especially when diving in mixed teams, off boats etc, I found the manifold / gas block to solve the problem of clutter in hoses routing with sidemount rebreather
and the good thing id that manifold can be used with lots of different sidemount systems

there some very good values in it (manifold) especially when diving in mixed teams, off boats etc, I found the manifold / gas block to solve the problem of clutter in hoses routing with sidemount rebreather
and the good thing id that manifold can be used with lots of different sidemount systems

Very true, you can take the Z manifold and QC-6 configuration separately from the harness/BCD if you like a different system better. The versatility of the Z comes from the LP manifold with pluggable gas sources.

If the sms75 was in the pike when I was shopping i would have been looking hard at it. I think it offers the same multi use benefits in a smaller package, Im taking cave next year and will if I get into it be looking at the Razor in the future.

I talked to Cave Adventures (Edd's shop) today and they sade the sms75 is basically the same exact rig as the SMS100 with Ed's mods. They pretty much just replicated the modified SMS100 w/ Edd's input. It may have a tad slightly more lift to it, otherwise, functions the same

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom