Travel fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I was just kidding about the bad influence thing, :wink:. I am my own bad influence, only need to ask my wife!

Nem

Haha figured you were, my wife would say the same thing especially when it comes to buying new dive gear. Just out of curiosity how long are your regular Accels from end to end? Cheers.

20 dives later and I'm still happy with the Accels as a great travel fin

20 dives later and I'm still happy with the Accels as a great travel fin

Good to hear. I've used mine 4 times and was wearing a 2 piece 7mm with associated lead and a big steel tank so my initial assessment, that they were just OK, may have been premature. I'm hoping to hit the Phillipines over Xmas and am hoping in both a more suitable configuration and environment that I will like them more, particularly as this is their intended usesage i.e warm water travel fin.

I dove mine extensively during my trip to Cozumel. I am favorably impressed overall. I call them my 85% fins. They weigh a fraction of Jets, are 85% the size of Jets and make about 85% of the thrust of Jets. Oh, only 85%? Well, do not forget that Jets are among the most powerful of SCUBA fins by most accounts.

The Accels are fine for normal duty, travel, single tank, 5/3mm suit or less travel diving to mostly warm places. If you want to push doubles or be able to chase sharks against current in WPB, probably not a good choice of fin. The Accels perform all kicks well, especially frog kick. They allowed me to maneuver about holding my camera entirely with fin inputs.

And, they make all my double hose diving buddies jealous of the cool red straps and color accent inserts. What more can I ask for. Oh, they seem durable and about those straps, no need for spring straps, the supplied straps are excellent. The deck hands commented on how easy they were to manipulate and I have to agree.

Just out of curiosity how long are your regular Accels from end to end? Cheers.

Measured on the bottom from the end of the foot pocket to a line projected across the tips, just a skosh under 21 inches.

Improvements, well, they could make them, maybe, .5 inches wider and longer and most particularly increase the thickness of the side rails up near the foot pocket and a little more beef in the bottom of the pocket integrating the pocket more into the side rails to increase power delivery. Like many fins, I can cause these to buckle at maximum effort or in a full on sprint accelerating from a stop with a sudden wide scissor or whip kick.

N

Thanks for all of the feedback guys! I ended up going with the Aeris Accels. They are extremely light (the pair weighs less than one of my previous Scubapro twin jets), short and easy to pack. When I first got them I was afraid they weren't going to be powerful enough because they were so short, but they are! I had no problem pushing around a rebreather and multiple bailout tanks clipped to my sides. Overall I am very happy with them.

Great thread!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

---------- Post added January 16th, 2014 at 11:13 PM ----------

Helped me also decide to buy the Access.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom