Full face mask and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I know there is no gear out there that can't be used unmodified with Nitrox up to 40%. The only potential issue that I can possibly think of is if there are some titanium components in the regulator. Check that, if not then I'd personally be comfortable using it.
This.

Funny enough in the PADI Tec Deep Diver book, there is a sidebar on a similar topic. As we begin to venture into gasses that contain more than 40% oxygen, we need to understand the impact to our gear. Most gear is certified up to mixes of 40% O2 but can be used with higher oxygen content after being properly O2 serviced. And be prepared to kiss your warranty goodbye in some cases.

This is something that I've done... haven't had my Guardian FFM serviced for 100% oxygen, but I also am not planning deco dives with my Guardian because there is not an easy way of doing gas changes without using an expensive manifold and gas block switching.

However, concentrations up to 40% I've used with great success. I don't know certification in Europe, but on this side, just about everything is good up to 40%, unless it has titanium components.

How do you plan on sharing air with your buddy if you run out or have a failure?

If my buddy needs air, then he can use my octo, or the reg from my pony. If I have a failure, I have a quick disconnect at the FFM, and on my pony reg, so I just unplug my primary hose, then disconnect the pony reg and hook the hose into the FFM. If I have to use my buddy's octo, then I'll remove the FFM, and switch to a regular mask. No matter what, the dive is over at that point.

Like they said... with training and drills, it's not that bad.

In response to your original post, the Ocean Reef masks are perfectly suited for Nitrox use, I have used mine just fine, in America, up to 100% O2 after it was O2 serviced. It is rated up to 40% on its own from the factory. I know that it does not help you if you are specifically looking for a "certified mask" for use in Europe. But it will be safe to use. There was a thread on this forum as to why things are certified for Nitrox in America but not in Europe and what was different about each, but I don't remember what it was titled nor do I remember where it was located. If I find it I will post a link to it.

This may be a little late to the post but I had been trying to find a solid answer to this question for some time. I just took the Interspiro mask technicians course last fall and this was brought up. The technical rep from Interspiro said that EAN up to %40 would be fine in the Divator as long as all the regulator parts and lubrication were from Interspiro

I don't know why Interspiro would say that. I've used my AGA with 100% O2.

Officially to avoid any liabillity issues it's easier just to say no.

How do you plan on sharing air with your buddy if you run out or have a failure?

flots
How is that relevant beyond having a dig at the OP and/or the use of FFM?

Back
Top Bottom