Very, very cold water tip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gunrock

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, my flaky friend finally came through on something, and we're going to Antarctica. Soon. Too soon for us to make the necessary preparations to scuba dive there. However we do plan to snorkel. I want to take one of my underwater cameras with me.
Problem: the tour operator provides a snorkeling drysuit and...7mm mittens. From past experience I don't think I can operate a camera in anything beyond 3mm gloves. So...does anyone have any ideas of what I can do? Or should I give up on the idea of taking my camera in the water?
On the other hand, I think if I take my Olympus XZ-1 and shoot in auto (I almost always shoot in manual, of course) I can make it work, since I'd only have to press the shutter button.

You should be okay in 3mm. I was fine at 48 degrees for an hour in 3mm. Itll be colder but it probably wont be an hour either

There's world of difference between 48 (considered balmy here) and what will likely be 31 - 33 there. I've known folks who pour some warm water in their gloves before diving but I always thing all that does is dilate the blood vessels so would actually make them colder in a wee while. I think I'd take a pair of 5mm gloves... My buddy wears a 4th Element and it's very flexible, and would be a lot warmer than 3mm. You will also know you're getting gloves that don't have holes...

You could also run a little duct tape around your wrist to prevent water from getting in... or at least reduce the amount...

Have fun regardless!

Diving Gloves | Fourth Element

when I firs started diving I used 5 mil crab gloves. after 20 mins in 36f water my hands were numb. Like it was said 48 is very warm compared to low 30.
You can look for dry gloves that have latex seals on them. I saw many shops selling them and they work fine and do not require the rings on the suit

Back
Top Bottom