Regulator Servicing - Learn Through Books or Taking a Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It definitely can get into troubles if the reg "participated" in a fatality even if it is not the reason. At least here in Ontario.

Is this one of those things where you have heard the stories or do you actually have knowledge of a documented (legal papers filed) incident? I am getting the impression that a large part of these scuba related legal actions are legend rather than fact.

Unrelated point: My experience is that DIY reg service probably does not save much $$$. In my case, I just spent it on dozens more regulators and other scuba gear.

My buddy and I got a brand new ultrasonic cleaner for about $100. We got an IP gauge and Magnehelic combo on a nice stand made by Scuba tools for $225. My Aqualung Legend needs a special tool to torque one damn part and that mother was $96. That one hurt , but we just could not locate a satisfactory substitute for less than $55 and my OCD compelled me to buy the stupid thing. Between the two of us, we have prolly about $600 in tools to service the five sets of regs we have. Maybe not exactly cost effective, but I like servicing my own stuff and knowing it's been done right. BTW, our ultrasonic cleaner seems well worth the expense as parts come out AMAZINGLY clean. All this is just our preference and for our own gratification. YMMV.

My buddy and I got a brand new ultrasonic cleaner for about $100. We got an IP gauge and Magnehelic combo on a nice stand made by Scuba tools for $225. My Aqualung Legend needs a special tool to torque one damn part and that mother was $96. That one hurt , but we just could not locate a satisfactory substitute for less than $55 and my OCD compelled me to buy the stupid thing. Between the two of us, we have prolly about $600 in tools to service the five sets of regs we have. Maybe not exactly cost effective, but I like servicing my own stuff and knowing it's been done right. BTW, our ultrasonic cleaner seems well worth the expense as parts come out AMAZINGLY clean. All this is just our preference and for our own gratification. YMMV.

Which tool was $95? Looking over the Legend manual I don't see anything that should be anywhere near that cost unless you bought a really nice torque wrench.
You overpaid for the IP gauge and mag. Suitable IP gauges can be had/made for under $20 and used mags are on ebay for under $30 all the time not to mention you can make a manometer for under $5. Point being, service tools don't have to be expensive.

Which tool was $95? Looking over the Legend manual I don't see anything that should be anywhere near that cost unless you bought a really nice torque wrench.
You overpaid for the IP gauge and mag. Suitable IP gauges can be had/made for under $20 and used mags are on ebay for under $30 all the time not to mention you can make a manometer for under $5. Point being, service tools don't have to be expensive.

I think you make a fine point about alternatives.

Is this one of those things where you have heard the stories or do you actually have knowledge of a documented (legal papers filed) incident? I am getting the impression that a large part of these scuba related legal actions are legend rather than fact.

Unrelated point: My experience is that DIY reg service probably does not save much $$$. In my case, I just spent it on dozens more regulators and other scuba gear.

Yes 2 of the cases. Not first hand thanks God , but the tech that I use for servicing the regs told me about 2 cases when he was called into the courtroom, also been requested log records for the regs he had serviced. those 2 cases were fatalities.

I received an email a couple weeks ago looking for info on regs involved in a fatality. Requested were any service records if available. Had I sold or serviced these regs there was a place to forward the info to. Turns out they were not regs I had ever seen. I am quite sure the email went out to more shops than just me.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Servicing a regulator for someone else out of your home puts you in the liability circle if there is a bad outcome. How much risk? I don't know, nor do I want to tempt fate. Life is a series of risk vs. benefit calculations. My benefit for servicing MY regulators is high with a very small perceived risk. Whereas, my benefit for servicing someone else's regulator is almost nil, so the small (but larger than for my regulators) risk isn't worth it.

I have been a tinkerer and mechanic (paid and unpaid) all my life, with the tools to prove it. When I had to fix a 50 year old reg I just started on it. Eventually I found a parts breakdown and exchanged emails with some vintage divers on line. It now works as good as new and tested to 130'. The problem is finding parts for the old regs, newer ones check online, ebay, or find a sympathetic LDS shop tech to schmooze.

The less you worked on machinery of this type, the more reading is advised. If you are not mechanically inclined, start with something you do not care about, craigslist and ebay can get you some inexpensive regs to practice on before you get to your own.

Other than field fixes, I don't service other divers gear, I just keep mine running.

I endorse the following message:
But if I believed that my regulators were really life-support, as in the only thing between me and death, I probably would not be diving. If you see a regulator failure as anything more than a major PITA, you may need to take another look at what you are doing.
awap

Bob
----------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

Can anyone provide any documented court filings (available under freedom of information) that involved a legal action against someone who worked on another person's regulator where no $$ was involved? I understand the results of an action may not be accessible to the public but the legal initiation is a matter of public record.

I agree, from cost stand point, you will be ahead in a long run. But just like you said, tools and books will cost 2 service. So only at the 3rd service, you start to come ahead. For 2 year service interval of HOG, it is 6 years before it is making finiacial sense.

I agree with this sentiment, but not with the accuracy. For example, I bought a set of Hog regs (D3/Zenith) set up for sidemount. I got a couple of dives on them before taking them on my honeymoon to Mx. Smart, right? Well, day 1 of diving was OW only. Reg blew on the second dive. My second stage was freeflowing VERY aggressively. Day 2 was a big day full of cave diving. So was Day 3. Day 4 and Day 6 were also diving. With just the gear I was able to source, I was able to replace the blown o-ring and keep diving. That saved me a WHOLE lot more than the tools/training/experience ever cost me. Like with anything else I own, I want to know how every inch of it goes together so I can know what's going on if anything ever goes wrong. Three instructors and a DM both told me the second stage was adjusted wrong. I knew it was one of 4-5 o-rings....in the first stage.

This goes back to the fact that proper reg servicing is MUCH more than swapping parts. After getting proper training (mentor or instructor), you should read Reg Savey. Once you've seen the inside of a few regs it starts to make MUCH more sense. I can swap parts on most machines you can hand me, simply because I'm mechanically inclined. Diagnosing them is a totally different issue, until I understand them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom