Shearwater Petrel Diving Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

declan long

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All

I am thinking about buying a shearwater petrel computer. I have a few questions: i will be buying this computer in the uk and i can only find narkedat90 to buy this from, why only 1 supplier for such a great product? i will be using this for trimix diving to 100m, i use v planner to plan my dives and i see there is a VPM-B upgrade pin so do i need this for the computer to give me deeper stops etc? if so, why is this optimum bubble modle/algorithm not included? any other info, suggestions or idea welcome

Declan Long

The SW comes standard with GF. This will allow you to define deeper stops by changing the low gradient. I would suggest adding the $75 upgrade as you use v-planner. Deco algorithms is a choice and there is no optimum. Dive what works for you. Once VPM-B is added you also have a hybrid option combining VPM and GF, giving you greater control over the deep portion of the dive.

SW is "protecting" their brand by limiting the dealer base. Enjoy your new toy and please report back. It's always good to hear new users feedback.

I agree with the above comment. If your going to have ad vplanner print out as a backup then get the VPM upgrade for the petrel so they match. You can get the GF close but no need to waste time doing that when vplanner and the petrel are on the same page.
Not sure why only narc is selling them in the UK/Europe, but I know they are very reputable.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Do a search on the SW site, there is a dealer in Sharm.

Not sure what else you are looking for???????

Love my Shearwaters, Petrel and Predator. Do wish I could get the same software functionality on the Predator that runs the Petrel.

I felt like your questions were answered... one could argue which deco algorithm or model is optimal but one common one is included and another is available for a very reasonable fee.

If you peruse the technical boards such as deco stop you will find a lot of people who are very happy with Shearwater products and support, if that is a concern. i have had a Petrel for over a year and have been very happy with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom