Traveling Diver looking to dive in Northern Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thebrain

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I am a Northern California diver, currently driving across country and am thinking about a pit stop in Florida to dive. Can any body recommend to me places to dive in the northern-ish part of Florida (I assume there is decent diving there this time of year?). I don't really want to go down to southern Florida, although I know the diving is great there, because it is too far out of of the way. I am interested in anything, say, north of Gainesville on either the Atlantic or Gulf side, including the pan handle.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. included water temps for the sites would be good, I am diving in a (thick) wetsuit, so I am partial to water above 45, ideally above 50.

Probably not the best idea right at this moment...even the deep south is frozen! We're in south Louisiana along the I-10 corridor and it's 21 degrees right now.

It will be warming up in a few days though. A good area for you to consider would be Pensacola, FL. You could check out the Oriskany...an aircraft carrier that was sunk a few years ago.

The water in N. Florida is 72F real round in the springs.

I'd suggest taking a Cavern Class. Basically you'd have a personal guide for a bunch of diving for 3 days and learn some new skills. Call or email me if you want to talk about it.

Peter@ultimatecavediving.com

@ CajunDiva:
Pensacola looks interesting. Any recommendations for dive shops/guides, since I am a single diver and unlikely to find a buddy.
What kind of depth is the Oriskany at?

@Superlyte27: I will be sending you an email about the cavern class soon!

Conditions off the panhandle can be hit or miss. When are you doing the trip? For diving the Oriskany you should try to reserve a spot ahead of time. The deck is at 150' but the top of the tower is at 80'. Not a lot to see in the recreational range and they will be short dives. There are better longer dives closer to shore and much more shallow. You can definitely stop in Panama City, about 45 minutes south of I-10 and get some diving done there if conditions are good. Water temps are in the low 60s right now. There are also caverns all along the panhandle over through to Gainesville. You definitely want to take a cavern class before venturing into the overhead. It does open up your options quite a bit. Spring water temps range from 68-72 degrees with most of them being in the 68-70 range.

@dive-aholic, do you have any sites/shops that you recommend for shore diving on the panhandle. I will sidemounting double AL80's, so that gives me a little more leeway with the Oriskany, but I should still stay in no deco limits. The water temps you stated don't bother me a bit.

I just got back from Peacock springs, and that was awesome. Unless you're cave certified you can only go in the orange grove sink, but it was still pretty sweet. You could also check out divers den, ginny springs, blue grotto, etc.

When are you coming through? There are lots of springs to dive for OW divers! I'll be your buddy. I live in Gainesville and dive all over here! Not sure when you'll be in the area. If you are around tonight there is a party at Extreme-Exposure in High Springs. Great chance to meet buddies in the area. Find out local conditions. Dove Ginnie today, it was wonderful! I like Troy Springs, Manatee springs, Devils Den is a must and blue grotto is cool too. Water temp is 72 all year so a 3mm or 5mm should be fine. A hood and gloves in just icing on the cake. Here is the facebook page to RSVP if you want to party: https://www.facebook.com/events/596780873710310/?ref=2&ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

or stop in the shop for fills, to ask about other buddies or cavern classes, etc.
Hope you find a good spot. You can email me if you want to dive OW. richdenmark@gmail.com

Troy springs had no viz a few days ago (I could't see my fins). The ranger I talked to said that he would close it because of it, and that it was an issue they have when it rains into the tributary (GA). I just drove through GA and it was raining the whole time, so I'd call troy ahead of time if you want to dive there. I was bummed because it's supposed to be cool.

It didn't clear up even descending 20 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom