Nitek Q Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Latest word from DiveRite, received by email:
Java has recently released an update that has interfered with the compatibility and functioning of the Workbench software and drivers. We are working on a solution. As soon as we have a working solution I will let you know how to proceed. We apologize for any inconvenience, and appreciate your patience regarding this matter. In the meantime your Nitek Q will still function as a dive computer, and will log up to 10 dives in its internal memory.

I received pretty much the exact same response after several e-mails to different people in a variety of locations. Apparently one of my messages was forwarded to Travis Lowke at Dive Rite. His response has been the most legit of those I have received so far.

This is the exact wording:
"Thank you for the screen shots, that definitely helps in resolving these software issues. Java has recently released an update that has interfered with the compatibility and functioning of the Workbench software and drivers. We are working on a solution. As soon as we have a working solution I will let you know how to proceed. We apologize for any inconvenience, and appreciate your patience regarding this matter. In the meantime your Nitek Q will still function as a dive computer, and will log up to 10 dives in its internal memory."

How legit this response really is seems to be questionable given what many others have said about Dive Rite always promising a fix but seldom delivering on those promises. I'll give Dive Rite the benefit of the doubt just to be fair, but at the same time I'm holding onto my receipt should I need to demand a refund.

I am running the newest version of workbench on my Mac and have not had any serious problems with software functionality, NitekQ updates or installs. I do from time to time have an issue where Workbench does not recognize the USB connection and therefore will not upload my log, but thankfully, that is few and far between. I just got off of the phone with Travis at DR and updated my NitekQ with the custom gradient factors and digital compass. No problems there - all is good. However, I will not be updating my computer with the new version of JAVA any time soon, considering what I have just read here. Overall, a great computer, but I wish the workbench log displayed dive info such as: deco ceiling, water temperature, gas%, tissue load in/out, pp02.

My instructor was trying to help me with my computer and Q seemed to work a little better on his PC, although it still reset the clock and would only work on one COMport. I believe he also did not update to the latest version of Java. While reverting back to an older version of Java may not remedy the problems completely, it sounds like it might be a temporary workaround until DR gets things resolved properly.

Travis sent me another message this morning and it sounds like he is on it - he has definitely been the most straight up person I've been in contact with at DR so far, and he has somewhat revived my faith in the company. I sincerely hope that DR maintains their reputation and gets this sorted out so that we can get what we paid for with these computers. I agree that it has the potential to be a great computer, but first the bugs need to be worked out and it would be nice to have a new version of software on them with the features you outlined.

glad to see there is still active dialogue on this...I was getting tired of "soon" about 4-5 months ago.

...Travis sent me another message this morning and it sounds like he is on it - he has definitely been the most straight up person I've been in contact with at DR so far, and he has somewhat revived my faith in the company. I sincerely hope that DR maintains their reputation and gets this sorted out so that we can get what we paid for with these computers. I agree that it has the potential to be a great computer, but first the bugs need to be worked out and it would be nice to have a new version of software on them with the features you outlined.

I finally had it with the NiTek Q and sent it in for a refund. This whole "soon" stuff isn't happening soon enough, and I've come across several posts from several years ago that state the same concerns that we're still having. The pretty obvious conclusion to all of this is that Dive Rite makes great equipment except for when it comes to dive computers - in that area they completely suck. I love my DR BC, regs, etc., but will never consider a DR computer again.

For those using the new Macintosh Maverick OS...

If you have Mavericks you will need to delete the Workbench Software, and reinstall both Workbench and Java (albeit a previous version).

Java for OS X 2013-005

Also, because of new security features in Mavericks you cannot simply “double-click” to open workbench installer, you will need to “right-click” and select “open” and then confirm.

How to open apps from an unidentified developer in OS X Mountain Lion | iMore

I hope this helps!

It might not be a Diverite problem it might really be a Java problem...I work in education and just received an email from a huge digital library that we use to download text for students to use with computer assistive technology, to advise members not to download the latest update to Java, as it prevents downloading of resources from the library.

I also work in education (educational technology) and receive/send out those notifications regarding Java. While I believe that there is indeed a Java issue, the Java issue doesn't explain why my Q would randomly display the DESAT timer and have its time fluctuate up and down for no reason, nor why it would just randomly reset the date and time. Seems like a pretty clear case of buggy software on the Q itself. There is also the matter of there being a series of similar issues to the Java problem since the Q was released, and DR's poor excuses/lack of a fix (Travis seemed like a straight up guy, but he was the only one and there's still the fact that the problem persists to this day).

Common sense, coupled with a little technical knowledge, tells me that there is a much bigger problem here. I'm willing to bet that if/when this Java issue is resolved, there will soon be another problem not too drastically different from those we have been seeing with the Q for as long as it has been around. I suppose the question that everyone needs ask himself/herself is how long they should reasonably have to wait to get what they paid so much money for. For me personally, that deadline has come and gone. Others, especially those who seem to have some loyalty to DR's computer department for reasons I do not understand, seem to think a permanent fix is right around the corner (although I find it very ironic that none of the people who said this to me have a Q themselves).

As I said before, I think Dive Rite makes great equipment except for when it comes to computers. I have a TravelPac, an XT1, two XT2s, and all kinds of other DR equipment, and I ordered all of the same equipment for my 14 year old (especially because I think their Youth Program is great). I'm a believer - in everything except the computers.

I loaded workbench around Christmas time and because of the Java update it did not work. I tried starting it up yesterday and it did work so I think they managed to find a fix.

Back
Top Bottom