Do you bring your light with you every dive?

Do you bring your light with you every dive

• Yes

Votes: 138 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 15.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always have my light monkey 12w led can light on me. You never know what the conditions will be on a dive. I also have 2 back-ups on my harness

I recently bought a Halcyon EOS Mini as an alternative to a canister light and it is incredibly bright. It is brighter than many LED canister lights currently on the market. There is also a product coming in the near future from Halcyon that will enable you to plug the light head into a canister should you require longer burn times.

I bring a light every dive to:
a) bring out natural colours of things
b) communication with dive buddy and team

I bring a light every dive to:
a) bring out natural colours of things
b) communication with dive buddy and team

^ This.

I have an 820 lumen xtar D06 that I find sufficient as a primary for OW rec diving.

I generally only dive in clear warm tropical conditions, and do not always carry a light. But, I do always bring a primary and backup light on the boat, and increasingly find myself carrying them each time.

I dive with a minimum of two lights in the ocean. My primary is a Salvo 21watt HID and my back up is a 1000 lumen 3 C cell light. The HID punches right through our bad vis and helps keep a dive team together, and for signaling. We have a rocky bottom and lights allow us to look under the rocks for octopus, eels, and fish.

Even in the tropics I like to have a bright light, but in the top 20 ft I just like to stow it and enjoy the brightness. Colors change the deeper you go, and having a nice light to bring them back out is awesome.

A backup is mostly so if we get blown out to see we have a way to signal overhead air craft.

I carry a light on most dives and actually have it in hand about 30% of the time. I look for small stuff down in coral heads and in dark overhangs and small caves.

I don't even bring my can light to a blue water destination. It's completely unnecessary.

I do bring my can light on pretty much every local fun dive I go on in the lake, as it's night diving all day long.

No. Most of my daytime dives off the coast here I have not found it necessary.

I bring a backup light if I think I may want one.

I bring two when I need one.

I'll bring three if it is really really dark.

Bob
--------------------
I am not afraid of the dark!

@James R: So there was this Dutch Navy professional diver and his three buddies who went to Klein Curacao. And sometimes there is a current. They caught up in this under current and drifted past the end of the island, 11 minutes in to the dive. They went in to the water at 4 pm. Went the current took them they aborted the dive immediately and tried to attract attention, they weren't noticed, although they did deploy an SMB. It was by 5:30 that the boat decided they were missing four divers and started looking for them and by nightfall at 6:30 they hadn't located them yet. Since it wad completely unnessecary to bring a light to this blue water destination the four divers couldn't attract attention and spent the subsequent night at sea. They were found after 16 hours. If they'd brought just one light among the four of them they would have been seen probably. I know of several more stories like this one, which happened in 2008. Especially in Indonesia it seems to occur more often. So indeed I always have a light with me, also at blue water destinations.

Always have one, sometimes 2 backup lights. They sort of live on my harness after the gear is washed and dried, until washing time again. The only times I don't have the primary (can) light is when I am diving singles and will have to change tanks on a small rocking boat.

I am almost always in a daylight environment.

I don't know how many times I have thrust one of my backup lights into the hands of a light-less buddy because it helped to see things in imperfect vis, or looking into wrecks or under things, plus I could keep track of them better. Especially true late in the day as the daylight starts to fade.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom