Question for pony bottle users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I mount it valve down, so under water the valve is right at my hip and I can easily turn it on or off during the dive. It can also be removed and handed off if needed without too much trouble. But so far I've never had to use it.

I too mount mine upside down, but more because its easier to reach back to trace the hose routing if my reg comes off its bungie. I can't do that if its rightside up like I can do with my main tank. I get a lot of strange looks on the boats I've been on tho, like I was putting my fins on my head or something.

I'm another one who offsets a 19 with 2 pounds in a trim pouch. It just feels like it's slightly cleaner balanced to me, but I've done dives without the trim also.

The big thing is that it's good to carry some backup air. Regular practice, to be comfortable wth using it, knowledgeable about run time, is important. I like my 19 because it's a 1/4 of an AL80 worth of capacity, enough to get me back to the surface, safely, on any dives I do.

Last edited:
2-3lb on one side is nothing you should worry about. Think about diver with canister light, or sling a stage/deco bottle, or side mount diver. If left/right side needs to be perfectly balance, they would need to carry a lot of "counter balance" weight. And they don't. What you will learn is to shift the air in your wing to compensate the slight offset in weight.

I carry a 19 on the back of my Ranger. I don't even notice it.

Now that you've posted this thread, I'm going to notice it every time :(

Ya'll need to take all those pony bottles and spare air gimmicks in the trash. Purchase a nice large capacity steel cylinder and put an "H" valve on it. You don't have to go DIN most valves are convertible as yolk valves also. Unless your using a separate argon cylinder for dry suit inflation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not worried about running out of air in my 130's. I'm more concerned with the insta-buddies on the boat.

Ill keep my 19 cf pony. Thanks :)

What about those folks who sling their ponies? Do you guys also compensate by adding 2 lbs on to the other side?

What about those folks who sling their ponies? Do you guys also compensate by adding 2 lbs on to the other side?

Captain

I dive with a 40cf clipped to my D rings on the right side. I dive dry as well. I was surprised how neutral the 40 gets in the water. Originally I subtracted weight from the pony side trim pocket, but discovered that I started to list left. Now I do not add or take away weights on either side. Much better. Experiment with it using your standard gear set up. See what works for you.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No.

I sling an AL30, and do not notice it. I think most folks just unconsciously and automatically compensate for the very slight weight imbalance, just like with a slung Al80.

Not an issue.

Best wishes.

Nope on the odd occasion when I take a pony instead of twins or a 9 litre sling, I just sling it and don't have any issues. If I have it, it means I am recreational diving a single and usually taking it for insurance with other divers. Often its to get them used to using air from a sling tank on another person, as something different for them. Never used it in anger to date, just a play toy for me. If I seriously am considering air usage and redundancy I use twins or a large sling tank.

Back
Top Bottom