train in thailand or the oregon coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My name is ashley, and im working toward my instructor cert. My hope is to hop from place to place while working at dive resorts all around the world. At the moment im just weeks away from completing my divemaster training. Ive done all of my training so far on the oregon coast and my question is, should I complete my instructor training here as well? or would it look just as good on a resume to complete my training in thailand (or somewhere cheap)? Also, if im wanting to work at dive shops, do I even need to get my instructor cert? Ive never talked to anyone who has done this before. Any insight would be MUCH appreciated.

I suggest joining the 'pros' forum and browsing some threads there - as a lot of debate has occurred about the pros and cons you're asking about. Your question may be missed, as you've put it in the 'new divers' forum... not a place normally connected with inquiries about instructor training :wink:

Going full Instructor is likely a smart move, if you want to make a real go of diving as your primary income. You're often going to be more valuable to a dive shop if you are an Instructor, able to teach.

Best of luck, and definitely do ask for access to the Pro area when you complete DM. To get in you'll need to provide the info to SB on your certifying organization and DM number.

ESDS is probably the best LDS I’ve ever been to. I was a staff instructor there from 1999-2003 and ran the LCC program. Ron and Mike are incredible CD’s and put on a very thorough IDC. In my years of being an instructor, being an instructor from Oregon has helped a few times I’ve interviewed for instructor positions. Do it there, you’ll be an even better instructor for doing it all in crappy conditions.

If you're wanting to work in Thailand, phillipines, etc. I'd suggest doing your IDC over there, not for any difference in the quality of the instruction, but for the professional contacts you'll make and get insights for how working over there actually, um, works.

Good luck in your endeavors, G.

Now would be a really good time to go to Thailand.

Thai-policemen-kick-an-an-016.jpg

Hi there,

Welcome to the pro diving world:)

Agreed with sentiments above that yes, starting as an Instructor is definitely an advantage. It makes you much more employable as you can fill both instructor and DM roles withing the business - its generally much easier to find instructor work . And that doing it in the area where you want to start working is much better in terms of developing professional relationships and contacts. Many instructors who train in asia end up working for the same diveschool they certify with, or nearby. Not to mention it may also work out a bit cheaper for you. Also as you've completed most of your training so far in the same location, getting a bit of diversity in different environments would probably be a bonus.

Hope that helps :)

It's not essentially unsafe to be in Thailand at the moment, I would just stay away from the centre of Bangkok for the moment if you're concerned. there are still ex-pats working and living in the city however. This happens every 4 or 5 years and locals go out of their way for travellers at times like this to ensure the tourist $$ keep rolling in. the islands are as safe as they were before the political protests in BBK.

While I'm sure the training you'll receive will be to the right standard, in places like Australia the Thai training is generally looked upon quite badly due to the "zero to hero" courses and the volume of instructors pumped through the system, whether this is or is not right, is not for me to determine. It depends on the places you'd like to work and how often you'd like to travel. The biggest asset you can have is a good reference and a good mix of certifications to your name.

For the dive store I did my DM with (in Australia), they did say that if i wanted to do a six month stint overseas after finishing my IDC they have contacts I could get my first job with, which seems to be the biggest hurdle. so perhaps contact the Staff Director or shop and see if they have contacts OS

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom