Chicago Vacation Diver – Interested in Lake Michigan Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As the title implies, I have been mostly a vacation diver (with 2-3 trips to Haigh Quarry) since I got certified. I had no interest in diving in the Great Lakes until I got AOW certified last weekend. Traveling to tropical locations is expensive and I think I would be willing to dive local just to get underwater more often and check out more wrecks. I have never used a drysuit, nor have I received training in them.

1. Are there wrecks near Chicago that I can dive with a 7mm wetsuit?
  2. To get to these wrecks, are there dive boats/shops that offer trips?

If you live in chicago there are plenty of wrecks to go see. I took two trips with the dive rite in scuba shop's dive boat and had a good time on both trips. a 7mil suit will be fine if you can dive in 50 degree water and stay comfortable in it. I dive a 7 mil suit and do fine until the temp gets below about 45 degrees.

I have also talked to captain jim of windy city diving several times. I had booked a trip with him but the weather was too rough so I did not make the trip. I would go with him anytime.

Jerry

As the title implies, I have been mostly a vacation diver (with 2-3 trips to Haigh Quarry) since I got certified. I had no interest in diving in the Great Lakes until I got AOW certified last weekend. Traveling to tropical locations is expensive and I think I would be willing to dive local just to get underwater more often and check out more wrecks. I have never used a drysuit, nor have I received training in them.

1. Are there wrecks near Chicago that I can dive with a 7mm wetsuit?
  2. To get to these wrecks, are there dive boats/shops that offer trips?

There are quite a few charters from Chicago and Milwaukee for great wrecks in the area. Previous response mentioned Dive Right in Scuba who run the boat from southern part of Lake Michigan. If you're in the city, Windy City Diving (capt. Jim) is probably your best bet to get to wrecks of Chicago;those are good beginners wrecks as they are shallow and have less hazards. Capt. Jim also has a boat running out of north point marina (near pleasant prairie) to S.S. Wisconsin wreck. If you are willing to travel to Milwaukee area, there are few operators, look for Len-der charters (capt. Jerry), shipwreck adventures (capt. Bob), shipwreck explorers (capt. Jitka). There are excellent wrecks in that area that those operators visit regularly.

Said that, most dive shops in Chicagoland area arrange weekend dive trips and will also help you with an advise and with any additional gear you might need. Myron from Elmer's watersports in Evanston has quite busy charter schedule on his web site and so do Illinois Institute of Diving out of Glen Ellyn, or Chicagoland Scuba out of lake Zurich. There are other shops that have wreck diving trips organized and they can help you to pick the trip to wreck that will best suit your experience. It all depends in which part of Chicagoland you are located in.

Diving 7 mm wetsuit is doable (I would say starting late June) and I've seen folks doing it but if you will fall in love with local wrecks and will become regular visitor, dry suit will be very logical investment, training for use and eventually getting one. Good luck and dive safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have charters in Southwest Michigan too. The dive boat is the most unique and spacious one in the area. :D

http://www.jensencharters.com/

It's about $125 for a two tank dive.

7mm is fine in mid-summer, although I would highly advise supplementing with a hooded vest if you tend to get a little chilled.

I love the boat. Cruise on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom