Deaths at Eagles Nest - Homosassa FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure the name of his instructor or certifying shop, from almost 8 years ago, adds anything, even if the information is accessible, but that's just me.

Interesting thread. I've never been into the tech side of diving, this has gotten me to explore things a bit for my own information.

On S.S.I. diver verification search

Darrin Spivey

The "online certification verification" of the various agencies is not 'forgiving'. Capitalization must be perfect, spelling must be perfect.
And of course, the birth date you enter has to be 'perfect'.

I've noticed a lot of people focusing on their lack of training as the main cause of this tragedy (which it is in a large part). However they committed some other offenses.

I read in one of the reports that one of the objectives of the dive was to "test out their new Christmas presents." I cannot imagine taking new, unfamiliar gear into an overhead environment now, especially a buoyancy system.

Lastly, like everyone else has touched on is poor judgment. Both he and his son were not ready for cave. The sad part is, he knew it too.
My condolences to the family, what a terrible way to spend Christmas. Happy safe diving everyone.

brooks.jpg
I would like to hear from Robert Brooks. I am sure someone here might know him or he is a member here, maybe there's a reluctance to mention him because he is a member or part of the community. Unfortunately, the way people act on this board, I can definitely understand him never partaking in a discussion of the incident, which is a shame.

I see 'gear' as one of the barriers of entry to technical diving. If you can afford proper gear, you can afford the instruction (IMO). The father was a roofer by trade.. I just don't get that Brooks would tell the guy not to do something, but then lend him gear. Would be great to know what the 'gear' was.

Here's a full res image of their gear, i don't see reels, but I am not a cave or tech diver, this was taken a week ago, maybe they weren't doing penetration, anyone know where this photo is taken?
gear.jpg

EDIT: Sorry, the board scaled down the photo. Full res here: http://hernandotoday.com/storyimage/HE/20131226/ARTICLE/131229966/AR/0/AR-131229966.jpg

.... i don't see reels, but I am not a cave or tech diver, this was taken a week ago, maybe they weren't doing penetration, anyone know where this photo is taken?
View attachment 174348

EDIT: Sorry, the board scaled down the photo. Full res here: http://hernandotoday.com/storyimage/HE/20131226/ARTICLE/131229966/AR/0/AR-131229966.jpg

Or, because no one but full cave divers should be in the system and with there being only one way in/out along the gold line, there isn't a need for a reel to tie into the gold line.

Ok, my bad, as I said, I am not cave certified and don't know the dive spot, I was under the impression a safety reel was for zero vis situations. Thanks for the info.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

a large number of off topic posts have been deleted and more than 100 of which were blame storming...contrary to the specific rules of this forum. Please stick to discussing the details of this accident. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Last edited:
Is there any forum or police/coroner report that would go into details on who owned the equipment used along with depth/time/(gas remaining) data from the dive computers? Obviously this would be after any investigation is complete.

I can't find it but someone wrote that the father was not certified despite reports that he was. If that turns out to be true, it would be interesting to know how he had tanks filled.

News reports and that of friends/relatives are not always factual. Case in point the assertion by the fiancee that safety was of utmost importance.

I'm certain they were doing it for some time. That does not look like someone who is uncomfortable diving in that setup. Most people wouldn't think for a second that there was any issue with experience or that both of them were way over their heads (no pun intended).
Although my question is, and it doesn't just apply to this situation, but to diving in general... If you see a potential problem, whether it is a diver ill-equipped or through idle chit chat you discover an uncertified diver, of course you are free to intervene and in this case you would most likely be told to go chase yourself six ways from Sunday, what recourse do you have? I don't see any way of physically stopping them from entering the water, or even stopping them from doing it again in the future.

Back
Top Bottom