Private rescue class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think unless your instructor brings a crash test dummy you will be losing out. It will be difficult for him to evaluate you while you are towing him. I think a small class is best.

Sounds like will be a class. I will check with the padi shop once more then register with the SSI shop.

Thanks everyone.

You might also check with the PADI shop about staffing. Depending on the shop, a private class may be the Instructor plus a DMC and/or DM, with the DMx' playing the victim or other divers for the open water sessions.
(Private doesn't necessarily mean there won't be other people, just that the others aren't actively taking the class.)

I'd absolutely ask, if the private class is with a place you like the training more.

I want to do a rescue class soon and would like some comments.

One option is to do the class with my lds (ssi). This is $350 plus book, plus card if I want a card. I do not trust their training but it would be easy to take the course and a poor course is better than nothing.

Option two is a private class at a shop (padi) in another city. I really like the training provided in this shop but the only way I can do the course is as a private class as they do the regular class over two weeks (4 evenings and 1 full weekend). The private class is $600 but includes everything (equipment, book, card, efr, o2).

I do not mind spending the extra money and I know I would be getting a lot more for my money, however, will I be missing something by not taking it with other students?
The best training is a course in which you learn & practice with Emergency Service professionals who have actual real life experience in the rescue and treatment of diving accidents. IMO, there is no "private class" for nearly the same cost of $675 that is as comprehensive as learning from Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Service Personnel (LA County Baywatch Lifeguard Paramedics and Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber Instructors & Operations Crew).

The USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber, located on the campus of the USC Wrigley Marine Science Center at Big Fisherman Cove at the West End of Catalina Island, is an emergency medical facility for the treatment of scuba diving accidents. Without proper treatment, major problems from diving accidents, most commonly Decompression Sickness (the "Bends") and Air Embolism, can lead to permanent disabling injuries and in some instances be fatal. In the Southern California area around Catalina Island, the combination of effective on-site management of a diving accident along with the rapid response by Los Angeles County Baywatch Lifeguards, or the U.S. Coast Guard, and swift, effective treatment at the Chamber can save a diver's life.

The USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber is 24 feet long, 9-1/2 feet in diameter and has two locks. The size of the Chamber allows the possibility of treating multiple patients simultaneously (to date, the maximum number of patients treated simultaneously is four) and allows room to perform CPR and Advanced Life Support for patients who arrive in cardiac arrest. The Chamber facility is an extension of the L.A. County/USC Medical Center Emergency Room and is part of the countywide Medical Alert Center (MAC). Funding for the Chamber comes from L.A. County and donations from generous contributors, dive clubs, dive boat operators, and fund raising activities. . .

. . .The USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber is dedicated to the promotion of underwater diving safety and treatment of Southern California diving casualties and is part of the University of Southern California, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization:

The USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber's primary mission is the treatment of scuba diving casualties, and to this end the organization maintains the chamber facility and ensures crew availability 24 hours-a-day, 365 days-a-year.

The USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber provides educational programs focused on the promotion of underwater diving safety.

The USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber gathers information on diving casualties and standard diving practices, and reports unbiased information to the diving communities.

The USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber is a hyperbaric research facility available for underwater diving research projects to improve diving safety and test equipment.
USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber

Last edited:
For our Rescue class we started with 4 in class, had 3 for the pool, and 2 by OW - in the grand scheme of things I don't think we missed much by not having more people. I agree about asking what the private class actually means - we weren't rescuing our instructor, he had a DM or 2 playing victim. And he made a real effort to make things interesting/varied/difficult. While I agree more people and and variety is better for Rescue, as always there is much to be said for going with training you think is better.

I did OW in a group, and while I would still use the same instructors, if I had to do it all over again i'd do it private. I did do my advanced one on one with a different instructor, and picked up a lot of good information (on this board so common to hear advanced is a waste)and found that useful. I just finished Recue with the same instructor I did my advanced with and it was 5 students two instructors the first Ocean Day, and 4 Students 1 instructor the next. I think a small group is the way to go, and it was the most fun and useful class I've taken. We were able to see all scenarios play out, were able to actually be the victim, which gives interesting perspective. We were put under stress, and then able to watch others under stress and see how they reacted. It allowed us to absorb an awful lot over a two weekend period.

We did basically a private class and I know people that have done group ones. I would say it kind of depends on your diving and your experience.

There was lots of "dealing with strangers on a boat" which was of very little benefit to us because less then 1% of our diving is from a boat and even less with strangers. Sure at some point this may be somewhat helpful, if our diving styles change.

Since I generally dive with the same partner from shore our instructor focused on that. On top of that I generally dive doubles so we worked on recovery skills based on that.

My GF had to do the O2 class, but she is first aid/CPR certified because of her work. I am a paramedic so we skimmed that part of class as it is my daily life.

I thought we had a great class and the nice thing about private classes is they can really be geared to the type of diving you do. The instructor did have extra "victims" with him though.

I can't see how one-on-one instruction could be a bad thing, it's the holy grail of any type of instruction.

I can't see how one-on-one instruction could be a bad thing, it's the holy grail of any type of instruction.

Agreed.

I'm very much an "old beginner" and have much to learn. After years out of water, the best diving money I ever spent was on a private 1:1 GUE Primer/coaching.

It was far more expensive than the "refresher" I previously did in terms of absolute dollars. Factor in the total $/instruction time and opportunity to pick the brain of a guy who literally dove circles around me with a video camera, and it was an incredible bargain.

Rescue and team-oriented classes are perhaps a different story, so I can only describe my own experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom