Hawaii woman hitches ride on Great White shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that you are talking about Sharkmen (which I agree with you that it is pure BS and I do not watch it) but I am talking about the OP video.

Yes, aside from other life-altering events Sharks may encounter, and implying that, even in comparison to something as 'benign' as feeding, being touched by a diver is pretty much a non-event in that Shark's day-to-day life. So, this was in reference to the video ...

Look I'm into freediving and UW photography, so my vantage point on this is probably very different from yours.

This wasn't as much a GoPro stunt as it was just a couple doing what they do anyway and deciding to film it. This couple is very much about shark conservation. Juan leads/has led shark tours in Guadalupe and Hawaii and spreads his message of shark conservation thick everywhere he goes. Ocean is always his sidekick.

White sharks have a stigma about them spurred on by a movie and a few attacks. It is not a reputation they deserve. In actuality, they are just sharks like the tiger sharks in the Bahamas and bulls in Fiji. By bashing Ocean, you bash cageless shark diving everywhere. If that's your bias, well, fine. I know many people who have dived and continue to dive with white sharks uncaged and they all come back beaming with a new appreciation for these kings of the ocean. Whether you decide to judge or learn from them is up to you.

I don't believe for one minute that she was without cage and others with spearguns or bagsticks

Did you see a bangstick/speargun in any position to help her if she needed it? This just tells me you haven't spent much time in the water with large animals. There is no need to hurt the animal, even if they do get rowdy. If anything, a pvc pole (or camera) is more than enough to fend off from an aggressive animal.

I had the privilege of meeting Juan and Ocean last week in Mexico. I am also not a free diver or shark behavior scholar. I can say as a SCUBA and large predator fan, I really liked them. I also really like sharks when I get the chance to see them. I also really liked that video and admire Ocean and Juans efforts to help with conservation. I showed the video to some of my friends who live 1000s of miles inland and know nothing about sharks(mostly so they can see who I was talking about) they saw intelligence in the animal and although not shark fans GW are a small step further from all being Jaws....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom