Can I get my (non-micro) four-thirds 7-14, 12-60 and 50mm macro lenses underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kritta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have a (non-micro) four thirds system:
E3 camera
Zuiko 7-14mm F4.0
Zuiko 12-60mm F2.8-4.0
Zuiko 50mm F2.8 macro

I am wondering if it is possible to get that system, and especially those lenses, underwater. I am happy to update the camera to either a Panasonic GH3 or an Olympus OMD E-M1 and use the MMF-3 4/3 to m4/3 adaptor, but I have quite a lot of $ invested in those lenses and it would be a shame to have to replace them.

I see that housing options include Nauticam (for both the GH3 and M1) and Olympus (for the M1), and there are various tubes and ports available for those systems, but most charts mention only micro 4/3 lenses, not the lenses I have.

My interest would be wider stuff and video. I can't imagine doing too much macro stuff... it just doesn't interest me.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

- Andrew

The answer is yes with both the Nauticam and Olympus housings for the EM-1, You can also find used housings from SeaTool and Nexus for the E-3. Nauticam also supports the GH3. These housings have adapters that use threaded ports from Athena, Inon and Olympus that work with the Olympus style DSLR ports for past Olympus housings for E300, E330, E410/20, E510/20 and the E-3 & E-5 housings from SeaTool/Nexus. The 170mm glass dome port and extensions would work with the M43 housings along with the Olympus gears.

Thank you so much - that's very useful. I appreciate your time. :)

While you can use MMF-3 4/3 to m4/3 adaptor, you lose some functionality of the lenses and auto-focus is very, very slow. I've got the same lenses for my old E-330 system. After trying the adapter on an OM-D EM5, I bit the bullet and bought micro 4/3 lenses.

BTW, I've got a full E-330 system: camera bodies, lenses, Ike housing, ports, strobes, etc. gathering dust in a closet...surely someone wants to upgrade to an underwater dslr system for chump change.

This is not the case with the new Olympus EM-1. Auto focus with the 43 lenses is every bit as fast as it is on the E-3/E-5 cameras. Can not say the same with the GH-3 which has poor AF with 43 lenses and adapter.

So, it looks like relative compact size and good auto focus are the advantages of the M1, while better video is the main advantage of the GH3. Tough call... but either way it's good to know I will be able to use my old lenses. The 7-14 in particular is a lovely lens. Thanks for all the advice. I hope to be able to post an update about how I proceed after a little while, and hopefully some pics too.

Hope you all have a great Christmas, and enjoy some great diving.

- Andrew

I have been using the above camera with 7-14 and 50mm with 1.4X with the ikelite housing and 2 DS 160 strobes for past 7 years. I have an 8"dome port from ikelite and I use the body extensions from the CFWA set up with the macro lens and teleconverter with flat port. I use ultralite buoyant arms for this set up.Have been very happy with them. I am looking to downsize system though with NA E1 housing with OMD e-m1.

This is how it works, Olympus and Nauticam both have a port adapter for their E-M1 housings which allows you to use ports designed for the Olympus threaded port mount. These would be Olympus style ports from Athena, Inon and Olympus. No Ikelite ports will work with these adapters nor will any of the Ike gears or port extensions.

To use your two Olympus lenses, 7-14 and 50mm macro you would need the lens adapter, MM?-3, the port adapter and the Olympus style port. With this equipment you will get slower auto focus and other downsides over the current M43 lenses. If you sell the Olympus 43 lenses and buy the M43 60mm macro and Panasonic 7-14 you can use stock Nauticam ports with the Nauticam housing and old style Olympus ports with the Oly housing. I opted to sell all of my 43 lenses and have just acquired the 50mm back because I still own the Athena port for it.

regarding Ikelite strobes you can buy a fiber optic converter to shoots non-TTL or you can hard wire using a Nikonos type sync plug added to the housing. Ikelite also has their first fiber optic strobe the Manta coming this year at around $600.00.

This is how it works, Olympus and Nauticam both have a port adapter for their E-M1 housings which allows you to use ports designed for the Olympus threaded port mount. These would be Olympus style ports from Athena, Inon and Olympus. No Ikelite ports will work with these adapters nor will any of the Ike gears or port extensions.

To use your two Olympus lenses, 7-14 and 50mm macro you would need the lens adapter, MM?-3, the port adapter and the Olympus style port. With this equipment you will get slower auto focus and other downsides over the current M43 lenses. If you sell the Olympus 43 lenses and buy the M43 60mm macro and Panasonic 7-14 you can use stock Nauticam ports with the Nauticam housing and old style Olympus ports with the Oly housing. I opted to sell all of my 43 lenses and have just acquired the 50mm back because I still own the Athena port for it.

regarding Ikelite strobes you can buy a fiber optic converter to shoots non-TTL or you can hard wire using a Nikonos type sync plug added to the housing. Ikelite also has their first fiber optic strobe the Manta coming this year at around $600.00.

I just have to see if I should use my current Ikelite system (until I no longer want to lug this heavier system as carry-on), or downsize and go with a new system (camera, lenses, ports and housing) and use existing ikelite strobes with nauticam housing until I can spend more on smaller strobes.

good luck

I currently have a (non-micro) four thirds system:
E3 camera
Zuiko 7-14mm F4.0
Zuiko 12-60mm F2.8-4.0
Zuiko 50mm F2.8 macro

I am wondering if it is possible to get that system, and especially those lenses, underwater. I am happy to update the camera to either a Panasonic GH3 or an Olympus OMD E-M1 and use the MMF-3 4/3 to m4/3 adaptor, but I have quite a lot of $ invested in those lenses and it would be a shame to have to replace them.

I see that housing options include Nauticam (for both the GH3 and M1) and Olympus (for the M1), and there are various tubes and ports available for those systems, but most charts mention only micro 4/3 lenses, not the lenses I have.

My interest would be wider stuff and video. I can't imagine doing too much macro stuff... it just doesn't interest me.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

- Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I see your post know and... hope arrive on time :wink:

I sell my E3 underwater staff.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/42602747@N00/discuss/72157644368049554/

I can arrange the housing and dome in a pack.

14033711262_b9834a4f85_b.jpg

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom