Anchored Boat story 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

Hmmm... needs some improvement... insert "and digested" between "eaten" and "it" for a better rule #1.
My rule #2 is "If you have to smoke or puke please do so from the lee side of the boat."
Rick

I like these rules, Im going to have to laminate them and have them posted on the bulkhead.

Rick: Smoking on board???? No way, never, not on my boat. with 120 litre underfloor fuel tanks....bad move.

Also, the heads on my boat consist of a bucket under the bait board down the blunt end.( mainly for the lady's )
:D

In addition to Shane not being a diver yet, the second clue to its time frame is...
My youngest daughter and I geared up for a dive on the 60fsw reef off the south end of Gedney Island in Puget Sound.
I beleive in another post, you mentioned that your daughter(s) no longer dives? :(

... the second hint... and yes very sad... the day she sold her dive gear I wanted to cry... something about just getting married, fiancé doesn't dive, no money, too much work, ect. ect...

And then the other daughter has her own daughter to take care of (while Shane and I dive hither and yon) plus her own set of excuses...

BUT:

The grand-daughter wants to be a "scubin-diver"... practices in the hot tub with goggles all the time. Is 4 too young???

One of these days we will take a family vacation to a warm water location and I suspect the whole group will go diving together....

But until then Shane and I just have to go diving whilst they go shopping....

Oh Please - Oh Please Brer Fox... don't throw me into the briar patch :rolleyes:

Now there in lies the differance between me and you.

When my better half goes shopping, I can no longer AFFORD to go diving...........:eek:ut:

When i go diving my better half goes diving too. That aint cheap. Oh...and then there is my son who dives. He doesn't work yet but he dives.

The grand-daughter wants to be a "scubin-diver"... practices in the hot tub with goggles all the time. Is 4 too young???
One of these days we will take a family vacation to a warm water location and I suspect the whole group will go diving together....
She is 15 now and was just certified last month by Lynne's (TSandM) husband Peter. She has been to Curacao twice but this next time she will do her snorkeling with a tank on her back!
:D

This story brought back the fun of a recent dive with my beloved dive buddy, off his little boat. We did the Des Moines barge, and we anchored the boat. Kirk was a little worried about how securely we were held, but we watched the shore for quite a while, and I insisted we weren't moving, so we splashed.

Great dive, beautiful viz, fun site . . . until we headed back, and found the drag marks. And we swam, and we swam, and we swam, and we swam . . . gas for me wasn't a problem as I have the SAC rate of a hamster, and for Kirk wasn't a problem because he was in doubles, but thermal tolerance is ALWAYS a consideration in Puget Sound. And we swam, and we swam . . . and the only thing keeping me calm was that we were only about a hundred yards offshore, so getting out of the water would be easy. Retrieving an errant boat, however, would not be.

We found the anchor, and surfaced and got back on the boat. And I learned a lesson, which is that if anyone has any qualms about the stability of the boat, you don't get in the water. I've also had the experience of not being able to find a well-anchored boat, when the only person on said boat could not run it. Lots of things to think about with boats, which is why I do most of my boat diving off charters :)

+1 for the captain never leaving the boat unless there is a qualified operator onboard who knows how to start and maneuver the boat. Doing so puts the captain, passengers, boat and other boaters at risk. Not only are there safety concerns, but serious legal ramifications as well - this needs to be emphasized in the telling of the story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom