Lift off without the silt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is my way of not stirring up things when taking a picture close to the bottom ...

DSC07509-Bob.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

But in a drysuit you may stay there longer than you wish. :D

You can do it just fine in a drysuit if your weights are properly distributed and you're using your BCD rather than your suit to control your buoyancy. I've watched Uncle Pug do a whole dive in that position while moving from place to place snapping pictures without ever getting horizontal. I'm not as good at it as him, but I'm getting there.

Being able to move about freely in weightless, three-dimensional world is a lot of fun ... which is the whole point of scuba diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My feet are more often than not on the heavy side for good horizontal trim, so occasionally I stand on my head like that to get a little more of the air where I want it. A small flip with my fins, and I'm back to horizontal.

It's a great way to see the world upside down even if you've become to unfit to do handstands topside :cool2:

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Some of my stills and video were taken while hovering head down, feet up, vertical, to see under a ledge, and get the shot or the footage. A stabilizing buddy can help a lot if you aren't comfortable doing such a maneuver alone. Otherwise, elevation without movement is the key to avoiding instant viz destruction throuhh stirring up a silty bottom, or wall, or anything.
DivemasterDennis

This is my way of not stirring up things when taking a picture close to the bottom ...

View attachment 173462

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Which serve as a perfect example of changing ones attitude in the water rather than relying on touchgin the bottom :D

223597_10151228577679216_1738824667_n.jpg

A photo of the above-mentioned Uncle Pug, in one of his favorite attitudes . . .

HOWEVER, it is not very possible to shoot UP at a subject when you are looking at it upside-down.

I am all about protecting marine life and even more, about not ruining the visibility for others. But just barely touching my belly to the silt in Cove 2 just doesn't strike me as heinous.

Shooting UP

HOWEVER, it is not very possible to shoot UP at a subject when you are looking at it upside-down.
It's possible but you need blue split fins to do it. If you only have black split fins you can spray paint them blue and then they will work just fine.

IMG_0597.jpg

^ :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom