Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jenny... you guiding BHB among others? Might ask a few questions by PM. Thanks.

yes, I do guided dives at the Bridge and other places. :) Looking forward to a PM. :)

Today's dive. Nothing too exciting, but the lights do help under the bridge.

[video=youtube;had5M0gK29s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=had5M0gK29s&feature=share&list=UU1utDku8vJ RJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

Today's dive. Nothing too exciting, but the lights do help under the bridge.

[video=youtube;had5M0gK29s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=had5M0gK29s&feature=share&list=UU1utDku8vJ RJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

The video lights make a huge difference...the go pro video quality is excellent with this! To many go pro vids are so unsaturated and flat, because of no lighting.

As to the rest...you do of course know that your handling of the marine life in the video, will have many viewers here mumbling under their breath....And then, when you had the juvenile Lionfish right by your hand, we were all assuming that you would DO THE RIGHT THING and squash it in your hand.....:)

This does not really bother me that much, and the reason I will share----there are many more Fisherman than divers....people constantly killing fish...and DD was and is a real fisherman. From the actions of pure taking and killing ( in order to eat), to appreciating and enjoying the marine life, I am happy with this transformation.....and you can only expect it to go so far.....I am sure the eel would rather be grabbed and held a moment, than hooked somehow on a line, and then filleted later.

DD, I too enjoy mild interaction with the sharp tail eels, they are so oblivious to divers and they gladly run over your hands, it's one of the animals I think it's neat and not harmful to do some interacting with. I do wish you would clarify how much force you used on it...at first it looks like you pinned it down against the sand, then grabbed and held it with a tight grip. I bet some of that is due to the gloves masking your fingers, makes it hard to tell how much you were gripping.

I only ask because I'm sure others will imitate you, and I think it would be good to explain how to not hurt the animal. Grabbing an animal too tightly could cause damage, and that's not what we are at the bridge to do.

The levitating lion fish was nifty though! Take a sucker gun thing and remove him next time!

The eel was not really bothered by that interaction, I could squeeze it hard enough to retain it in my grip, but I just held it with a moderate grip. I screwed up the video, by very poor framing, but he immediately went under a rock and caught something and was eating it, pretty much oblivious to us. I think it may have been a small crab.

As for the video, the new Hero 3 plus (black) does seem to be a little clearer.

What have water temps been at the bridge lately? Am thinking of diving next Saturday and expect the temp to be in the low to mid 70's. Am I far off? TIA.

What have water temps been at the bridge lately? Am thinking of diving next Saturday and expect the temp to be in the low to mid 70's. Am I far off? TIA.

I was wearing a 1.5 mm suit with 3 mm hood and was comfortable, but it felt warmer than I expected. I would prepare for temps of mid 70's and you should be good.

Wow! Lots of divers at the bridge today. Water temp about 77°, some chill, but not like Wednesday. Vis was also down quite a bit, maybe 20 max out by the snorkel trail. Oh, for those that like killing or collecting lionfish. There is a LF on the snorkel trail a couple mounds east of the west end of the swimming area.

The eel was not really bothered by that interaction, I could squeeze it hard enough to retain it in my grip, but I just held it with a moderate grip.

Yes I could see how it wasn't bothered by your grip by how docile it remained. Even when you had to change hands & grip it in a different place. Yup not bothered at all. Certainly looked calm as it just reclined in your grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom