How do you find buddies in bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had my mask kicked off by inattentive divers
I've never understood comments like this. I've never seen a diver move quickly enough to kick me in the face, unless my face was somewhere it didn't belong in the first place.

I've never understood comments like this. I've never seen a diver move quickly enough to kick me in the face, unless my face was somewhere it didn't belong in the first place.

I've never understood people that can't understand things they haven't experienced for themselves. In my case it wasn't an issue of speed of the incoming diver, but rather the angle of attack.

I was hanging out on the reef, neutrally buoyant, trying to frame some cute little critter for a photo. I don't even remember what kind of marine animal it was. But some other divers from the boat saw me point it out to my dive buddy and assumed it was a Unicorn Fish or some other rarity. As they converged on me one of them was descending on me from above and slightly behind. I initially had no idea he was even in the vicinity. I noticed movement in my peripheral vision and looked up in time to see him descending out of control. He was in an almost vertical position sculling with his hands and bicycle kicking like a madman. I tried backing away from him and the reef, but still caught the tail end of a bicycle kick that knocked my mask off. If I wouldn't have pulled my head back at the last second I probably would have caught a heel in my ear.

That's why I don't dive with photographers. They're so oblivious to what's going on around them. Sorry, now I'm just messing with you.:D But you have to admit that most people that take a fin in the face are probably partially to blame themselves. I'll concede the point on your above example.

That's why I like Bonaire - just me and my buddy - we stay away from the crowds.

Sorry boat sju but it really does happen. I had my reg kicked out of my mouth once and my camera kicked away while I was filming a swimming turtle. Both times it was other divers that came into my space then turned to swim away. Its one of the reasons that Eric and I developed our nav skills and go our own way on dive boats. In Bonaire we just avoid sites with more than a few vehicles.

Ditto on staying away from the crowds. It's been 10 years since we were last on a Bonaire dive boat. Since then we've enjoyed a dozen or so weeks of shore diving. Most of the time it's just been my wife and I, which is just how we like it.

My underwater photography career was short-lived. I never graduated past point-and-shoot film cameras in an Ikelite housing. But (my wife says) point-and-shoot digital technology has come a long way in 10 years. We're going to play around with our first GoPro on our trip this month. T minus 4 days to departure... and then 3 weeks of holiday fun on Bonaire. Lisa, you know where we'll be staying! :D

ww,
Back in the 80's I had a Canon AE-1 in an Ikelite housing. I felt like I should tie an anchor on the thing. I think I understand how you feel about your film camera days. I want a Go Pro in the worst way - I assume you'll post some videos?

Captain,
So as not to completely hijack your thread, if you're outgoing at all you won't have any trouble finding buddies if you want. We always seem to find someone tagging along with us on some of our dives. One time it was a guy traveling alone, which worked out great because I came down with norovirus one day - so my buddy had a buddy. Another time someone's spouse wanted a break. These are the typical scenarios you'll hear around the rinse tanks. But then again, my friends say I'll talk to a telephone pole.

Go to Bonairetalk and post it there....There is always people looking to buddy up

---------- Post added December 10th, 2013 at 02:04 AM ----------

Hello Scott,
I am from long island too and will be leaving for Bonaire April 4. Are you leaving out of Newark(not Fri anymore but Sat AM) or doing the LGA to IAH to Bon. We were supposed to arriving SAT, but United cancelled our red eye flight, and now leaving in the AM. Where are you staying? Laurie

Thanks jujubeess. I am all set with buddies...I was just offering CaptSinbad an opportunity to join us if he wanted to. Thanks though.

---------- Post added December 10th, 2013 at 08:53 AM ----------

Hello Laurie,

I am all set with buddies...I was just offering CaptSinbad an opportunity to join us if he wanted to. Thanks though.

Yes, we are leaving out of Newark. The flight changed again?? We haven't booked yet so I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the heads up.

We stay at Club Nautico every year. It is a fantastic 2BR condo with a huge terrace with outdoor shower, bar, grill, etc. Don't tell anyone about it though haha!

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom