Looking for Triangle Area Dive Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PVnRT

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to both North Carolina and to scubaboard.com. I haven't gotten in any dives since I moved to Durham in June. Needless to say I've got the shakes! I brought all my gear with me (sans tanks), but am lacking someone to dive with. The tanks I can rent. The dive buddy, not so much.

I'm a busy first year teacher so I don't really have the time or money to take a trip to the coast to do any wreck diving (although that is the eventual goal), so I've been eyeballing closer/cheaper destinations. The location that caught my eye is Fantasy Lake Scuba Park, about 40 minutes-ish from here, but I'd be willing to go a bit further. Just bought myself a dry suit that I'm itching to break in, so I was hoping to get in a couple dives one of these upcoming weekends.

If anyone is available and interested in heading out to get wet one of these upcoming Saturdays, please let me know! Thanks in advance.

Also, I posted this in the "Bull City Divers" sub-forum as well, but that forum hasn't seen much action in quite some time. Hope this is an acceptable place to post this!

Welcome to NC. There are a lot of divers in the RDU area. Some of them hang out at NCDivers.com. But that site is currently dealing with a Russian invasion (I am serious) so it is having IT problems.

Some of them hangout on facebook at RAD Divers (Raleigh Area Divers).

They frequently dive FL.

I was in Fantasy Lake last week. Several of the RAD and NC Divers will be at FL on Jan 1 to welcome in the new year. Also Down Under and Gypsy will be at Fantasy Lake for new years. Non club members are welcome to drop in and see them too. Come on out and meet some folks.

Air fills and tanks are not reliable at FL these days so you either need to bring rental tanks or arrange for somebody to bring a spare tank. I have a couple of AL80s i don't use except for helping with classes or as lenders (I dive HP 100s). So if I am there, and I expect to be, I could bring you a tank. Just return it with cash for an air fill. PM me closer to the date if interested.

Once it warms up another option is Lake Rawlings in VA and then there are the three PDRA quarries.

Much appreciated! I'll check out NC Divers while keeping my eyes peeled for Russians. Not on facebook any longer, although the opportunity to get more involved with the local dive community almost makes me consider going back to it.

If I'm in town on the new year I'd love to come out. I'll have to double check my schedule, but I think I'll be out of state. I'll give you a shout if I can make it. Thanks for the warm welcome.

I know Carolina Dive Center will be at Fantasy Lake on Jan 1 as well and they are heading out to dive the Charleston Tug this Saturday, the 7th.

Anyone know about how long it normally takes to get an account approved on NCDivers.com? I tried to register for an account about a week ago.

Sorry the delay in getting your account approved. I look forward to meeting you and hopefully diving with you.

PM me when you figure on dates - I'm usually up for a weekend in Morehead / Beaufort or Nags Head / Hatteras. We can usually find a boat to get on.

Back
Top Bottom