Real-life Equipment Failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Purge covers fail all the time, mostly from dryrot as seen in this octo. Also something heavy was dropped on the primary cracking the exhaust tee clean off.

The other photos are more interesting- this was a first stage diaphragm from a edge brand regulator that failed catastrophically. Happened after pressurization for the first time after a period of inactivity.

Ive also seen plenty of these cheap Chinese valves come in with broken valve stems and frozen bonnets. Found stress cracks in more then a few plastic conshelf second stages and one slime line octo from oceanic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 257
I'm going to make sure I take the boots off my tank and check them after seeing this thread.

Purge covers fail all the time, mostly from dryrot as seen in this octo. Also something heavy was dropped on the primary cracking the exhaust tee clean off.

The other photos are more interesting- this was a first stage diaphragm from a edge brand regulator that failed catastrophically. Happened after pressurization for the first time after a period of inactivity.

Ive also seen plenty of these cheap Chinese valves come in with broken valve stems and frozen bonnets. Found stress cracks in more then a few plastic conshelf second stages and one slime line octo from oceanic

I had the plastic of an Oceanic Slimline octo totally break down that it had to be discarded. The plastic on my Atomic regs appears to be much better.

Had a diver come in with a good story... While lobstering in a rather deep hole/shallow cave, he was able to shear off his primary regulator hose! Check it out.

The guy was really cool about the whole thing because, as an avid solo diver, he uses an AL19 mounted up with a pony tamer- he calmly switched to his backup and headed up...

I'm still having problems with this one. (The Ex metallurgist in me) The flange on the 1st stage "should" prevent (if correctly installed) the amount of lateral movement required to shear off this fitting. The photos' clearly should the graininess of an overload failure that's for sure. Part of me cant' help wondering if someone was over zealous with a wrench when tightening (Or perhaps giving it a little tweak to cure a leak) I can't help thinking there was something which caused defect that formed into a fatigue fracture first. But of course I could be totally wrong

I've had two equipment failures in my diving so far. A hose failure (one of those braided hose, no warnings), and a SPG blowout (that one was surprising). Happened just before i hit the water on a shore dive, sounded really loud.

The amount of noise a bit of air can make is truly astonishing. I had an industrial air brake blowup on me a while back and it was only 100psi. And sounded like a 12 gauge going off.... It may have been the fact that it blew about 2 feet from my face that made it seem so loud but I do know I had to go check my undies after....

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

This summer, I've had the following equipment failures:

Leaking HP hose: slow leak, replaced between dive trips.
Leaking HP hose: fast leak, replaced with spare hose just prior to dive start.
Broken depth gauge, dove without it.

Learned to keep spares of everything handy.

Had a o ring blow while sitting for my S.I. last week.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

I recommend you switch to a "DIN" connection for your 1st stage, as opposed to the "yoke" style. Two major benefits: a strong threaded connection & a captured o-ring.

No more blown cylinder valve o-ring issues.

Best,
DSD

I recommend you switch to a "DIN" connection for your 1st stage, as opposed to the "yoke" style. Two major benefits: a strong threaded connection & a captured o-ring.

No more blown cylinder valve o-ring issues.

Best,
DSD

Unless you live and dive where all they use is yoke...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom