Screwed knee = screwed diver???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Peter. I'm not stopping. Or giving up. I will only give up when they tell me to!

When they tell me to give up, I might give it "due consideration"

This year just keeps getting better. I fell last week after getting some snow off of my car. Re injured my knee and added a broken ankle to the mix. Looks like my dive trip next month is off... Oh well there is always next spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt it. I have plenty of metal in my legs including a rod in my tibia. I can dive fine. My mom just had a knee replacement. She is looking forward to diving after she feels better, is done with therapy, and has no pain. I can't imagine any trouble having a little metal in your body would cause during diving. I think it will just be a matter of when you feel ready to support your gear as you get ready to plunge. Admittedly I have been a Sherpa for my mom cause she has too many back problems and fusions. I bring her gear to her out in the water, she puts it on with air in the BCD, we dive like normal. Only problem is I get a little tired of playing Sherpa when my back is hurting as I have a crushed vertebra that didn't need to be fixed.

Oh, man, if it weren't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any at all! Hope the ankle fracture is minor, and you can get back to working on your rehab quickly.

I have a dodgy knee and have more issues getting in and out of boats, ledges, slippery stairs, etc, than actually in the water. Swimming is very low impact, so it's perfect for bad knees, but you might want to create some workarounds for entry, e.g. putting your tank on when you're in the water instead of beforehand. The only time I felt a little knee pain in the water was finning against heavy current, so maybe stay away from dive sites with currents. I've found using less weight helps as well.

Thanks guys. Your advice and encouragement is appreciated. TSandM you are absolutely right. At first glance it does seem I only have bad luck. But this latest break meant I couldn't work again and knowing that I had more time off, my fiancé finally admitted she needed me to join her (she is attending school 600miles from our home.). When I got here, her brave facade dropped away and she let me know how down she is. She was ready to quit school after 7years with only 6 months left to her graduation. I guess I am lucky I was given the chance to be there for her.

Sometimes things happen for a good reason which is not apparent at the time. What seemed bad luck appears a blessing in disguise.

This year just keeps getting better. I fell last week after getting some snow off of my car. Re injured my knee and added a broken ankle to the mix. Looks like my dive trip next month is off... Oh well there is always next spring.
Have you had a bone density exam?

Back
Top Bottom